1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-710A wont burn other than 4x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wowzers, Dec 2, 2004.

1. wowzers

wowzers Member

Hi again gang. I am wondering why my Sony using ritek go4's and latest version of nero, will not let me able to burn slower than 4x. The drop down window in nero express blacks out when ever I insert my +r media and will not give me the option to choose a slower speed. I am wondering also if anyone else using this burner is stuck on using +r. Are they more comptible with this burner? I am new to this and a buddy of mine uses nothing but -r with his pioneer108 burner (riteks as well) without any playback probs on many standalone dvd players. I burned 7+r and 7-r media and handed one of each to my friends for a test run. All of them played the +r but not the -r media. I just curious cuz like i say my friend burns -r only with his pioneer and has no probs with playback on diff. players. I was told this sony is a - and + burner (says so on the box, lol) maybe its stuck on +r media. Just wondering if I gotta change something. Okay thats all fer now.......hope to get a response, THANKS y'all

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

maybe the media only burns at 4x and higher?

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

Biosgain.....I can't burn faster nor slower. The window blacks out when I insert my media (ritek ridata go4)not allowing me to have the option to burn faster or slower than 4 times. The media I have is 4x but I should have the option to burn slower. Not sure though. :)

4. nick26897

nick26897 Member

What version of Windows are you running? I had the same problem as you when I updated to Windows XP Professional. My Plextor 716A would only burn Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-Rs and Memorex DVD-Rs at 4x with DVD Decrypter. The copies came out all choppy. With Nero the writing speed box was grayed out too. I switched back to Windows ME and all is fine now. No burning problems and I can write at any speed compatible with the media.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I have the Sony DRU700A burner on my Dell. It will always burn at the same speed no matter what you set it at. But always set it to the lowest setting. But this should not be a problem because it always works fine. The only problem i found is that it will not copy a game to any other disc other than a Phillips 8X DVD-R for some odd reason, it will copy movies to any disc but not games. I think the Sony will burn either (-R or +R) but the PS2 seems to like the -R discs the best. I have had 100% success with games on the Phillips 8X DVD-R discs. I use a 4X
    DVD-R Memorex for movies and they also work perfecto. It is a top notch burner! try DVD-R, Phillips if you have an Office Depot near by. they will run a bit more but are worth it. Let us know what you are copying, games or movies and someone here can most likely help you out. Especially me because i have the same burner and have done both games and movies with it using both Nero and DVD Decrypter.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  6. wowzers

wowzers Member

I am using my burner just for movies.I am also running xp using latest nero version. This is a great burner but I was hoping to just burn one type of media (-r) but as testing goes on with players, the +r media (ritek go4) is in the lead by far. I don't understand why. My friend is burning riteks -r as well and has no probs with playback in dvd players. He is confused as to why when I burn a -r it doesn't work in most players but the +r media will. Thats what has me wondering if my burner is more compatible with +r media than the -r media even though its suppose to do both. All input is greatly appreciated :)

7. nesto13

nesto13 Member

I have the same Sony DRU-710A and am using ritek go5 8x. running xp prof and have not had any trouble using dvd-r on any players, games or movies(burned 20 movies so far). only had a problem with GTA san andreas but i hear that is separate problem in itself. I also dont have the option to burn at a slower speed than 4x but looking at dvdinfo, it says i can only burn at 4 and 8x for this media. so my problem may just be media. I havent needed to burn at slower than 4x but it would be nice to have the option. Forgot to add that i am using dvd shrink and dvd encrypter.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Hey Nesto13, waht is the problem you are having with san Andreas, i have it and have made a copy with Nero and it worked just fine. I tried it with DVD Decrypter and that one did not work but it did with Nero.

Wowzers, you have the same as me, i am using a Sony burner on Windows XP and am not having problems with it. just get a pack of the Phillips DVD-R 8X discs if you can and let me know how those work. also you can try to update your burners firmware, which i have alraedy done. have have not even tried +R yet because the -R always work for me. And play fine on my PS2 which is the only DVD player i have.

9. wowzers

wowzers Member

steimy.....yeah i have one standalone player that plays my -r media as well as the +r media. The majority is in favour of the +r media however. I have tested both on approx 40-50 stand alone players and my -r media wont play in most of em. My +r media (ritek) will however. They are good burns without any probs in that respect because they will play on some. I was just under the impression that -r media should be at the top of the list as far as compatibillity goes...............still testing :)

10. nesto13

nesto13 Member

steimy, i own the game also and was trying to copy it. the backup worked fine, but every now and the game had to load up in the middle of a mission. never froze though. also there were some background drop outs with nothing but a black area. maybe i should try nero. back to the other question with wowzers, i am playin all my backup dvd-r on my sony dvp-nc665p player and have no problems. other people have borrowed my disks and have never had a problem either in their random dvd players. sorry i cant give more technical info on your problem and hearing 'well it works for me' isnt any help, but i am using the same writer with ritek dvd-r disk so i have no prob and well it works for me. Did anybody find out why he cant burn at less than 4x? I thin my problem is media related (ritek go5s)according to dvd info pro.

11. wowzers

wowzers Member

I am wondering if my media problem stated above with -r is somehow related to me copying a previously burned movie on -r media. Do ya copying a -r to a -r is where i am having my probs? I am copying from the exact same media as I am using myself. Maybe it is not as compatible with this format. I should try burning an orginal copy to a -r disk and try it on the same player which wont play a -r copy from a -r copy. I don't think it should matter though cuz i save the previously burned movie to my hardrive first then use nero to burn. Wonder if this is related to my speed issues as well. hmmmmmmmmmmm, will let yas know. Isn't this fun? :)

12. steimy

steimy Active member

i copy -R to -R all the time and the copy always works just like the original backup i am making it from.
    Not real sure where your problem lies. Got me stumped...but that's not too hard to do.

13. wowzers

wowzers Member