1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU500A, which software to use?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by chui1675, Jan 7, 2003.

1. chui1675

chui1675 Guest

I just received this burner today and installed the PowerDVD software that it came with. It also comes with RecordNow but I've read that there are better software out there than this. Does anyone own this drive? If so, what DVD/CD burning software do you recommend? I'm a newbie to this and can use all the help I can get.

Chui

2. maldb

maldb Member

I use the ArcSoft Showbiz software which came with my DRU-500A to capture video and edit it as well - it's a pretty powerful package without having to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use it. It lets you insert text, special effects, and transitions on the timeline. When you render your video, you can select the quality level you'd like - it produced a stunning capture of a football playoff game I taped on Hi-8. For DVD burning, I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory - very simple to use although chapter buttons on the menu are static. You can also use Sonic MyDVD which also came with the burner - it has motion menus you an use, although I'm not sure if it will let you create specific chapters from the one mpeg file you created for the DVD burn - Movie Factory does allow you to do this.

Originally used Ulead Video Studio 6, but captures came out terible looking - may have been my fault - didn't really look at the settings. Will have to try again.

I've tried using Pinnacle Studio 8, but it keeps freezing on my system and from what I've read in their forums, there seems to be an awful lot of problems with it. Can't recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  3. risky4me

risky4me Guest

I also have a DRU 500a. What are you wanting to do? I have used the RecordNow software for burning data and movies (using DVD XCopy) with no problems. Some reviewers think MyDVD, which came with your unit, is a good product. Personally, I haven't used it yet, but would like to know from those who have what they think of it? Does it burn good video? I have some mpeg2 files I need to convert & burn to DVD compliant. Will I be satisfied if I use MyDVD, or should I use another program, such as Nero5?

Thanks

4. dvdrob

dvdrob Member

I have had this drive now for about a month and I did not like to software that came with it. A good resource that I found for more software is here: http://www.burnworld.com. It should help.

5. chui1675

chui1675 Guest

Hey Risky4Me,
    I want a recommendation on software that is good for burning both DVD's and CD's. I'm considering getting Nero. Also, what software do you use for viewing DVD movies on the PC? I installed PowerDVD which came with the drive but now I've read that WinDVD is better, at least in image quality.

Chui

6. bb330i

bb330i Member

My Recipe with Sony DRU500A:
    1) Nero for all burning (CD,DVD,etc.)
    2) DVD X Copy for DVD ripping/back up
    3) Pinnacle Studio DV for home video
    4) Forget the included "Sony" software

Enjoy
    BB

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  7. coticon

coticon Member

I originally used Roxio to burn the DVDs as it gave me every indication that it was producing a DVD compatible video.

Although the DVD played fine on my computer DVD Drives, the DVD failed to play on EVERY commercial DVD player that I tried.

I switched to Nero and haven't looked back since.

I have a Pioneer A04 and love it - not a coaster yet !!!

Enjoy!!!!

Ken

8. Bez002

Bez002 Guest

I think the people selling the dvdxcopy software are simply pulling a scam I have installed the software upgrades on three diferent occasions and it has never worked. My PC has crashed and restarted on every atempt to burn a dvd with it. Then to add insult to injury on the forth upgrade it tell me that my licience to install the software has expired, and I am still wating for them to getback to me with a new licience ID

9. SINuX

SINuX Guest

The software that comes with the DRU500A sucks.
    I never used it and never will.
    Get NERO its still the best !!