1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU500A Writing x4 DVD-r Problems.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ccorkin, May 2, 2003.

1. ccorkin

ccorkin Member

I have a Sony DRU500A running on the following spec:

AMD 2000+
    1.5 Gig Ram
    x2 160Gig Maxtor UDMA166 5400RPM
    x1 40Gig Maxtor UDMA100 7200RPM
    Window XP

The problems is - I can't get the DVD Recorder to burn at x4 - I have flash the drive to v2.0f and I have tried using several x4 brands:

1. Datawrite Classics x4 (Red Top)
    2. Datawrite x4 (White Top)
    3. Ritek X4 (Silver Top)

And they all burn at x2

I have tried various Burning Apps with these brands at x4 and they all state initially 15mins for a 4.7Gb DVD-r but then end up saying 30-25mins. The apps I've used are:

1. NeroBurn v5.5.10.15
    2. RecordNow MAX v4.50
    3. CopyToDVD v2.0.1.92

The puzzling factor on this, is that a colleague of mine has the very same drive (bought together - same batch). Has only got firmware rev. v1.0g and has burnt successfully at x4 on the above brands and used the above applications (same rev.)

If anybody can give me some insight to why it's not burning at x4 on DVD-r I would be grateful.

2. genocide

genocide Member

sure man i had that problem too, disc says it's burnning at 4x but it takes 30 minutes..

that's because the sony drives doesn't auto turn DMA on, it's burning in poi which is dead slow, turn DMA on in your bios as well as on your device manager properties page and you should be fine i did and i'm now humming along with a 13min burn for a dvd movie as opposed to a 22 minute burn before.. to bad the ripping speed on this drive sux. 2x tops

3. T-bone

T-bone Member

Can anyone help me with this problem?
    I have just purchased a batch of Datawrite Classic 4 x speed dvd's to burn on my Sony DRU500AX with firmware 2.0e or 2.0f but after burning approx 75% of the disc it spits it out says errors on disc etc, now have 6 coasters!
    Hi Genocide
    Can you help me with my problem? I have just read your reply about changing the DMA settings in the BIOS, as I am a newbie would you be able to explain to me how I could check mine/ I posted this message on another forum as I can't get to burn a 4 x speed disc successfully, I have turned on the DMA in the device manager, but didn't know about the BIOS, because of the damage one can do in the BIOS I steer well clear of it.
    But the same as others mine is not burning at 4x, when I tried it with Easy creator 6 it was only burning (before spitting out) at x1.5!
    I can burn 2 x speed with no problem, but to date have ruined 6 discs, out of a new batch of 50!
    I have tried Sony support but had no answer as yet.

''Using RecordNow after using DVD2one programme
    I have burned 2 x speed discs with no problems so far but these 4 x speed have become a big problem. I have also tried to do a straight copy disc to disc using Roxio Easy Creator 6 and this even spits it out after approx 75%. Has anyone any ideas for me please.''

T-bone

4. genocide

genocide Member

gosh you might have a bum drive man, I have yet to create on coaster out of around 30 discs. If you check correctly in the device manager and it's in DMA you should be burning at 4x if your media is "4x certified" but as i said earlier 4x is kinda fast for a backup movie man, thats around 56000kbs of data around a 48x burn on cd.

and if any true audio person knows if you burn a cd too fast you get pops in the audio, same appllies with driving and dvd burning the faster you go the more wrecks you expose yourself too.

now you attempt to go at 4x get 75% through the disc around 10 min or so into burnning, then it spits out error. ok im going @ 2x while your getting another expensive disk out of the wrapper loading it and trying again im safely done.

i've tried all kinds of disc, 4x is new so it has some problems still i'd go with 2x until it's resolved. I bought some kypermedia disc from officemax 2x 25 for 24.99 =] plays in all my players but thats just my 2 cents.

5. Demon

Demon Guest

There is also some anomlyies we have seen with my Brothers DRU500AX (v2.0f), in that it only burns ISO's at 2X, yet the same medium doing file based transfers, e.g. a DVD project in NERO burn at 4X... he's still trying to figure it out... but it ain't a DMA issue... maybe it decides the speed depending on write type, DAO/TAO, etc...????