1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX-500UL or Sony DRX-510UL?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dragon61, Jun 24, 2003.

1. dragon61

dragon61 Guest

I am interested in buying a DVD-Burner for my computer. So far I have heard really good reviews for the "DRX-500UL", but when I look online for it, it's a bit pricey. I tried to look for reviews for the "DRX-510UL", but I can't find any. Will it work as "GOOD" as the "DRX-500UL"?
    THanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. gurtle

gurtle Guest

But besides price, is there any reason to buy the Pioneer drive over the Sony?

I've just bought a Sony DRU-510a and I must say I'm not particularly impressed (can only use expensive media, lots of drive errors, slow speed etc).

I chose it because I thought it was the only drive that supported both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW but if the Pioneer does too then it might be a better buy.

Can anyone offer any feedback on the Pioneer drive?

4. Vladimeer

Vladimeer Member

I'm able to give my experience on all of these. Started out with a Pioneer A03 way back when. Was a good drive, but picky on media. Then last year got a Sony DRU500A, and loved it. Worked perfectly and was very forgiving on media. The ultimate test for me was being to take a DVD from my computer, and throw it into my TV DVD player and watch. No problems with the Sony for that.

Then I fried it with a firmware update they sent out. Sony drives are great, but you gotta be real careful on this, as I found out. Anyway I went back to the store and bought a Pioneer A05 drive. Popped it into my computer, and started burning immediately. Looked really nice and here I am thinking that I was out of the woods. Tested the first DVD I burned with Nero on my computer and it played just fine. Then I took it to my DVD player on the TV, and it wouldn't recognize the disk. The same computer and disks had been working fine with the Sony and my TV DVD player seemed happy with that deal. But not the Pioneer.

So back to the store I go, and I bought a Sony DRU510 unit. I'm testing it right now.

And here is the verdict....

It works fine. The Sony burned disks appear to be much more forgiving with Nero software than the Pioneer burned disks. I guess this is all a matter of the combination of your computer, software, drive and DVD player that you are trying to use, but I would have to say that the DRU510 seems like a winner so far.

Now one word of off topic advise....

If you are putting labels on DVD, ONLY use the wafer thin ones from Mr. Frosty. The weight differntial with labels that work fine on CDRs will give you problems on DVD-Rs.