1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRX 710 byx3 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 1nite, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 1nite

1nite Guest

Using this drive with a Vaio laptop before flashing, never had a problem. Used Memorex 8x disks at 8x speed and never made a coaster. After flashing the drive, everything works fine except the Memorex 8x will only burn at 6x with Nero. Sony 8x media works fine and burns at 8x. HP 4x RW burns fine at 4x.

What's up with the Memorex? Is this by design or buggy firmware? Does this firmware recognize inferior media?

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I have found this firmware upgrade to be good and not good. The good is that my media burns much faster even though I burn everything regardless of the disc speed at 4X. My Sony media can be done at 8X and same with the Maxell. My BENQ media will only burn at 6X even though it is marked 8X. But the drive will not even burn the Maxell and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media. Maxell and Taiyo Yuden DVD+R burn at the speed indicated on the disc.

If your using Memorex DVD-R media, there seems to be user reports that the 710A has issues with DVD-R media.

3. 1nite

1nite Guest

Thx for the reply jamacaboi. Have not tried the "-R" media yet but I suspect it will be the same as others are reporting.

What do you think of flashing back to BY02 ?

4. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member