1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony dvd dru-500ax +/- dvdRW

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dandenong, Sep 22, 2003.

1. dandenong

dandenong Member

Can someone please help me i bought the sony dru-500ax writer. All the dvds I burn freeze or stop half way in the movie. I have reformatted my drives several times to try and have clean installations of win xp pro i use but it didnt help. I changed dma settings but i can not record dvds that do not freeze. Please help!!!! i am desparate. I am new to dvd recording.

2. flanman

flanman Member

I have the sony 500 drive. It may be your media not your drive. Do you get any errors when burning or just the poor quality on playback. I had terrible luck with Ritek media (both 2x and 4x). I would reccommend trying different media if you have not already. If you still have problems after trying a few different types of media, the drive might be bad. I recommend the Maxell 4x dvd-r media. You can get them at Best Buy for $49 for a 25 pack. Great quality, and have not had a problem with three differnt burners.

flanman

3. DDragon

DDragon Member

Hi, i have had a Sony DRU500a since when they first cam out and i find that when i use +R media i get freezes on my pioneer dv37 Elite standalone. Now when I use -R they work on my friend's standalone and both my pioneer and my sony portable player (no freezes) The DVD's look flawless..I love my Sony DRU500, Also try to shut off all the programs running in the backgroud, (Nortons Antivirus, etc). Hope this helps..

4. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

DVD+ are not as compatable with standalone players as the DVD-, expecially the older players
    Check out the Forums for burning DVD's for info on what to do and what software to use.
    As flanman mentioned, the media could be a bad batch, I'd check around though as you can get cheaper than he's mentioned.
    There is a post by magnetic (me) on media success rates in the SONY DRU-500ax which may be informative, in the dvd media section.