1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD RW DRU 720A Skipping movies

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by NWD, Apr 26, 2007.

1. NWD

NWD Member

Hello all, I have a Sony DVD RW DRU 720A disc reader/burner internal deck. I had read several topics concerning DMA mode, and it seems I have the same problem.
    As it is my burner is on secondary IDE set to DMA if available, Transfer Mode is PIO. I have tried to resolve this issue by toggling modes as instructed in a previous thread.
    I have also switched to an 80 wire IDE cable, then back to 40 wire. I switched some settings around in the bios and is now set to DMA mode 2.
    I tried to uninstall the burner drivers, and i ended up canceling the operation due to (Not Responding). I then tried to disable it first with the same results.
    The jumper is set to Master, and it's the only thing on the secondary IDE cable.
    The issue is that the burner tends to have severe skipping when I try to watch movies directly from the drive.
    It works perfectly in burn mode, and in read concerning application installs, picture images, and computer files.
    I have no problems burning a data dvd, and extracting the files, but it just won't read properly concerning direct video and music playback.
    I extracted a video file to test the file itself, and it played perfectly from the hard drive in several players.
    I then attempted to play the same file from the burner, and it was the same laggy, skip it had before. NOTE:this also happens with factory DVD movies
    I have tried several different media brands with the same results.
    I generally burn everything at max speed, which some discs are 16X while others are 8X. I allow the disc to decide the speed to burn at so it burns rapidly, and efficiently.
    my question is, is this a DMA vs PIO issue? or is it a bad unit?
    And if this is a DMA issue how can i solve it? Obviously standard methods are not woking thus far.
    I wouldn't mind dropping the burn rate, but a standard 4.25gb data burn takes around 40 minutes to complete at 8X speed.
    My last question is would dropping the speed for the burn rate on movies and such be helpful?
    Thank you very much in advance for any and all help :)

2. JVC

JVC Active member

When you consider the encoding and burning times, 40 minutes isn't too ridiculous. PIO mode could cause it to take an hour and a half or more.

Since it does it with factory dvds too, I don't think burning at a slower speed will make a difference. I'm thinking it's something with your computer, or the burner. See if there's a driver update for your video card. See if there's a firmware update for the burner. What dvd player software are you using? The codec may have gotten corrupted.

Find a dvd player software here and try it: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

When you tried to uninstall the burner, was it through the Device Manager? If not, try it this way:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.

If all else fails, your burner could be having a problem. Get another one, and try it (friend or buy one). If you buy one, make sure the store has a good return policy, in case a new one doesn't work either.
    I'm running out of suggestions. Maybe someone else has a suggestion, I haven't thought of.
    Good luck!

3. NWD

NWD Member

Well, I'd just like to thank you JVC you're the friggin man!
    I upgraded my firmware to JY08 and it worked liked a dream. I tossed in an anime file disk (Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig, .mkv format) and even those play now. I chose mkv, because they're notoriously difficult to run without the proper codecs. Did it to serve as a benchmark. Worked flawlessly.
    Also my Transfer Mode auto switched to DMA Mode 2 (which is how it's set in the bios due to lack of knowledge).
    Anyways thank you very much for your help and really quick response.
    Afterdawn's folks have ALWAYS been quick to respond, and with very knowledgable people. I've waited for weeks for responses in other forums
    so it really helps that people here help so quickly, and is seriously appreciated (at least by me)
    Take care

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Glad it worked out for you........... :eek:)