1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVDRW

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by stickweed, Mar 15, 2007.

1. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

I have a problem with my SONY DVD RW DW-U18A, It burns CD's fine, but when i attempt to burn a dvd it leaves a blank section on the resulting dvd. It has worked fine in the past.

It is a recent issue that only started occuring. At first i assumed that it was the media, perhaps it was skipping bad sectors on the blank dvd. But this is not the case. The blank section on the burnt dvd's is on the same spot everytime.

Some more information that might help is when i attempted to erase a dvd-rw to test out if it gets the same blank area, it stopped erasing at the same section the normal dvds leave blank.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Run a laser cleaning disk thorugh your dvd writer.

3. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

i haven't got any laser cleaning disks. Is there something else i can do? I don't mind if i have to take the drive out of the PC.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Dip a cottun bud in rubbing alcohol, then do little circles with it on your laser for 10 seconds or so. then dry the laser off with the other end, leaving no residue on the lens.

You could just buy a disk. Lol.

5. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

haha true. Thanks Ripper.