1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DW-U10A will not burn

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by df2003, Oct 5, 2003.

1. df2003

df2003 Member

Hi guys,
    I've just finished setting up my new pc... windowsxp on a barton 2500+ with 1GB ram etc.

Everything is working 100% except the Sony dw-u10a will not burn at all. I bought a sample pack of all sorts of diff dvd+/- r/rw to try... and none work. In fact, 4x ritek dvd-r and ritek 2.4x +rw will not even be recognized in dvdinfo.

The closest i came was burning a -rw using the default NTI dvd/cd maker that came with it. It hung up at 1% and screwed up the -rw because now it will not read in dvdinfo, and the erase wizards cannot recognize it. I tried the same thing on a Memorex +r and it immediately kicked it out when trying to write TOC.

I find it very strange why it cannot even read the info from certain blank dvds using dvdinfo (especially ritek).

Would a flash take care of this, or should i rma this sucker back? It has certainly soured me on Sony, and if i send it back i will be looking for another brand.... how's the LG 4040 multi-burner?

2. df2003

df2003 Member

also, is it normal for the drive NOT to be able to read any of the ritek 4x dvd-r ps2 burns that were done on another burner? This is another reason why i think something is faulty.....

3. joblow

joblow Guest

Strange.... Your burner seems dead!?

If you choose to change your drive I will suggest from my own experience(I have both Sony and Pioneer) to choose a Pioneer drive. Only a suggestion.