1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DWD18A Problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 0Gambit0, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 0Gambit0

0Gambit0 Member

Hello All,
    I've owned this Sony DWD18A burner for about 5 months.
    The burner is dual format and was able to burn +R and -R blank dvds.The burner worked great untill about a month ago it started malfuctioning. First I noticed that it started having problems reading blank +R dvds; however, if I put a +R dvd that had data not it would read it just fine. Not too long after the +R reading problem cropped up, the burner just stoped reading +R dvds all together. The burner still reads and burns -R dvds without any problems. When I put a +R dvd into my burner it just makes a scraching sound like it's tring to read the dvd but can't. I've been useing the burner to back up my dvd movies. The programs I use are dvd decrypter, Instance Copy, Nero and Cdrwin. The burner is now starting to have problems reading my dvds that I want to back up. Sometimes I'll be decrypting a dvd and it will get to about 70% done and all of the sudden by burner will start makeing that scraching soud that it makes with +R dvds and I get some king of I/O error message. I'm sure that I'm leaving information that you might need out so please let me know what else you need to know about this burner. I'll be getting a Plextor PX-716A/SW drive this week but I want to keep my sony burner has well. Please help me out if you can.
    Thanks

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

sounds to me like a malfunctioning burner. Check for firmware updates, if that doesn't help, contact $ony.