1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony handcam to dvd ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dazraz, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dazraz

dazraz Member

Hi i have a sony digital handycam and i wanted to put a piece of film from the camera to dvd, so i did it through nero and it converted it to a mpeg 2 file and burnt on to the disc fine , but when i played it on my dvd player the motion of the film is slightley delay and slow. Is this how film from a camcorder comes out when converted to play on a dvd player or am i doing something wrong here ?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I have a Sony DVD camcorder myself and have done quite some data transfers via the PC. What you described should not be. You may try to watch the results in mpeg form first to see if the movie has come out alright before burning. Also, when using Nero, be sure to burn at low speed (I always burn at 2X).
    Good luck!

3. dazraz

dazraz Member

Could you run me through how you do it and what part of nero you use so that i can see if im doing it right , only if you can spare the time if not no worries ?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Ummmm, I'll try my best.
    You said you have the mpeg files ready on the harddisk, right? So let's begin from there:
    1) Launch Nero (I like to launch Nero Start Smart).
    2) Highlight DVD and pick 'make your own DVD video'.
    3) On the next screen, click 'Add Video Files'. A window should appear where you can locate your mpeg files.
    4) Double click the files you want to burn to add them to the 'project content' screen. At the bottom of the screen you would see a bar showing the accumulated size of the movie compilation. Make sure they're not over the limit of 4.7 GB.
    5) After you have added all the selected files to the 'project content' screen, you may double click any file to bring up the editing window. This is where you do all the editing work (e.g. preview each mpeg file, cut the unwant parts).
    6) On the editing window, you may drag and paste the files on the 'My Media Files' screen to the bottom screen. This will be the actual sequence of the resulting movie. When you do each drag and paste, the mpeg file would also be shown on the left window. This is where you can preview each mpeg file to make sure the picture and sound are good, or cut parts of the clip etc. On the top of the 'My Media Files' window, there are altogether four small boxes where you can add video, text, and transition effects to your compilation. If you want to change anything, just right click you mouse over the files.
    7) After you're through compiling and editing your work, click 'Next' to go back to the 'Content Window'.
    8) Click 'Next' from the 'Content Window' would lead you to the 'Create Menu' window where you can create a menu for your movie. Just highlight the various icons on the right to play around with the functions.
    9) Click 'Next' from the 'Create Menu' window would lead you to a 'Preview' window for the whole compilation. Here you have a chance to see the full compilation before burning. Use the remote control icon.
    10) Click 'Next' again would get you to the 'Burn Option' window. Here I would suggest telling Nero to determine the max. burn speed. Note that more options (e.g. video format) can be set with the 'More' box at the bottom.
    11) If everything is O.K., click burn.

Sweat....sweat....sweat.... *_*

Hoping the above would prove to be useful. The key is to ask Nero to determine the max. speed plus burn at low speed. You may also want to try it out with a rewritable disc first.
    Good luck!

5. dazraz

dazraz Member

Many thanx for your time i will try that , i have been trying to do it on ulead as well and it came out ok but some of the straight lines on the video where as if the pixels were set wrong like on a pc , if i still get bad quality after this ill get back to the drawing board , once again many thanx 8*)

6. dazraz

dazraz Member

Just one more thing , on the side of my camcorder i have a output that is called s video out, i also have the same sort of plug on my graphic card, can i connect the s video out to my graphic card to get a better quality film ?

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

You said you have a digital camcorder, right? So you should be connecting the camcorder to the PC with something like a USB connection. This transfers digital signals, and the results should be better than S-video signals.
    Good luck!