1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony handicam

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by touran22, Apr 7, 2007.

1. touran22

touran22 Regular member

i have this sony handicam...

[​IMG]

now i recorded onto the tape. how do i transpher the video on to my PC hdd so then i can re record over the vdeo i backed up?

thanks.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what is your interface, or transfer cable usb or firewire? all you have to do if it is usb is plug in the cable from your camcoder to any usb port and transfer the data from the cam to a folder on your hd, also what program are you going to use to do your converting or editing? pinnacle,adobie and unlead are a few that will work good for what you will need. if you need any help[ with this just let me know ok?

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Looks like a minDV camcorder. Connect using Firewire an transfer the video using WinDV. Do the editing with any video edting program you want and export the result back to a new DV-AVI file. Record back to tape using WinDV again (if that is what you want to do).

4. touran22

touran22 Regular member

ok what is a "firewire"? and when i connect it it doesnt come as a removal drive or anything so i cant just transpher the data!

Also u mentiond WinDV? is the the app i need to tranpher my data? could you please get me a link?

Thank you for your help!

edit:

Found out what firewire is ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

But no its connected via miniusb from the cam it self and connected via USB to the computer port.

ill still give windv a try though! ill report back ASAP!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

6. touran22

touran22 Regular member

hey i dont really want to go out and buy firewire, i just want to transpher teh vidoes ive recorderd so i can record over my original tape. will windv still work with USB?

EDIT:

when using WinDV i choos emy cam corder and it says...

what the hell? what are the other programms to save the data?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

WinDV does not work with USB.

Make your life easy: buy a Firewire card plus cable. You should be able to buy it for under $20. It is plug and play, it will recognize every digital camcorder without having to install drivers, you will have exact same quality as your original and it comes with very handy device control.
    If you insist on using USB:
    - you will have to install a driver that came with the camcorder
    - you will have to search a program that will recognize the camcorder (the only way to find out is trial and error)
    - you will end up with much lower quality video
    - you may not be able to record it back to the camcorder

By the way: make sure that your camcorder has DV-in, or else you will not be able to record back to it, no matter what...

8. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

a few good programs to use would be adobie premire and pinnicle, also usb will work fire wire is a little faster, make sure that you have plenty of space on your hard drive when you do your transfer and encoding, good luck

9. rhinogolf

rhinogolf Member

Hi i have the same sony camcorder as above i have dv cassetes awaiting to download on computer so i can transfer to dvd i have been using usb cable but after 12mins of tranfer onto computer it stops recording would i be better of using firewall even though i dont no what it does??? i am going to read up on it but was after some advice from the people who no what they are doing!!!!

10. whassup

whassup Regular member

12 min of recording is ~4GB, also about the limit of a single file under FAT32.

Is your HDD formatted to NTFS?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  11. rhinogolf

rhinogolf Member

dont even no what NTFS is??? thanks for reply

12. whassup

whassup Regular member

Try Google. If you don't know what it is, then you probably don't have it.

FAT32 has the limitation of file sizes <4GB, which is around 15-20 min of DV video. If you want to be able to manipulate files >4GB, then your HDD needs to be formatted to NTFS.

Perhaps buying another HDD might be easier than reformatting and reinstalling Windows?