1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP-51HW40 HD Rear Projection picture problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bruce7834, Jan 23, 2009.

1. bruce7834

bruce7834 Member

I've had the Sony Tv for about 6 1/2 years. When I turned it on last night the picture (out of the blue) was messed up. When I hit display the channels and any other letters or numbers were displayed crooked. The top, bottom and sides of the picture no longer aligned with the sides of the TV. The picture itself is wavy. The colors are messed up and there are streaks of red, green, yellow going through the picture. Also each image is showing a double image of itself in another color. Everything is very blurry. I tried using flash focus but that really didn't help.

Has anyone had this happen before? Do I have a setting problem or does something need to be replaced?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

According to Consumer Reports reliability/repair history surveys rear projectors have been some of the most repair prone sets made (DLP being the worst).

As an example Sony's flat panel LCDs were in the 3% range (repairs and serious problems), while their LCD rear projectors were at 12%.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

sounds like something is wrong with set and not just a setting mix up especially if no one else was around to mess it up since the last time it worked properly. You probably need a repairman you can trust. It could be something minor. 6 1/2 yr fairly old technology now. I think we are going to find out, that all the non CRTs are not going to last forever like CRTs did.

4. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I am not familiar with the particular tv you are asking about, but if your tv has the adjustments you can manually converge the colors. On my set, I have the ability to adjust the blue and red colors as one movement or multi-point.

I just ran into issues with mine and it helped but it looks like it is time to replace my tv. The green on mine is non-adjustable and has slight curving at the top and bottom both vert and horizontal. (any suggestions would be great)

I agree with Garmoon about CRT's outlasting the new gen TV's. I still have my 36" from 97 and my big screen is only 5 years old.

5. bruce7834

bruce7834 Member

Thanks for all your replies. I tried to adjust the convergence manually but that didn't work. I ended up getting it repaired, cost $390.