1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Panasonic? Quick help needed with decision!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wingsguy1, Jan 24, 2008.

1. wingsguy1

wingsguy1 Member

Plan on pulling the trigger on one this weekend. All opinions appreciated!!!

Right on the fence in getting the Sony XBR4 46 inch LCD and the Panasonic 700 50 inch Plasma. Each within the same amount of money of no more than $120 (more for the Sony). I know it's a personal choice as far as picture brightness vs. "Real" color, etc. and I have taken the pro's and con's of each (i.e. brightness of room, etc.) into account. Both would work really.

I think I like the Sony picture a little better but I'm losing 4 inches from a 46" to a 50" and having trouble giving that up. My seating in the room 10 to 13 away by the way (opinions!).

Also, are LCD's or Plasma's less likely to go bad...One more expensive to repair?

Any thoughts really appreciated....Help me make my decision!!!!!

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If the $ony is a SXRD ( generic term is LCOS ) then go with the $ony

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

They are both very reliable. The rear projectors, especially DLP's should be avoided as they have in the past been more problematic.

The choice for me would be easy, it will be a cold day in Hell when I support Sony in any way. And in the final wash Plasmas (Panasonic and Pioneer) provide the best PQ.

[​IMG]

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

OK, check out some JVC D-ILA ( their LCOS and equivalent of $ony'$ SXRD units). Better pricing too!

5. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

i got a new t.v recently and had the choice of a discounted sony from my friend who works for them or a panasonic.

i went for the panasonic lmd70a 26" and im so happy with it, picture is so clear, plus my freid has he 32" version so i new what i was getting, it does everything i need, 2xhdmi, component, freeview pc input the works. looks great with the ps3 and playing blu-ray, and standard def also looks good

i would reccomend the panasonics almost every1 i no has one and never seen them have any problems