1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony ps3 and linux united!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by tycobb, May 21, 2006.

1. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Hi everyone.Well the ps3 will have linux pre-installed on it right out of the box.Ps2 sold approx. 20 million units in the u.s.a. and reports have it a repeat.Does this mean linux just hit the mainstream public?
    We started a thread on the ps3 forums about this but most of em(including me)don't have programming experience so it's a dud.

What are the possibilities of linux for gamers?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not that many considering that this will be a non standard linux, which will work with different commands and parameters than regular linux, just like the PS2 version. So it'll take a thick textbook and a lot of patience.
    And it will be limited in function, knowing sony a bit...

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  3. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Oh...well yeah but ps2 didn't see mainstream linux distribution like ps3 will. Yeah I heard It will be close to a full version of linux but maybe I'm wrong.I hope theres lot's of homebrew games for ps3.

Man I can't beleive this is still on the first page.Not much activity on the linux forum huh?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No, it means Linux geeks know better than anyone else that a redeveloped version of linux on a console will be nothing like a "normal" linux distro, with a totally different parameter system, kernels that are constructed to specifically work with the ps3 hardware, and that it will be built in such a way that working with homebrew will be nigh impossible for a while *at least untill someone finds a buffer overflow or some other exploit to get beyond the regular user settings and into the heart of the machine*.
    So, Mainstream Linux version on the PS3 ? guess again.

5. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Oh yeah I know what you mean.You know plenty more about linux than I do.
    I really just go by what sony has said.I certainly know it wont be a full version in the original sense ,but They seem to encourage homebrew and independent developer's.Sony already said it would release libraries for such purposes.

I could get better link's but there game sites.wiki seems unsure too but the overall thought is that we'll see alot more than that on ps2.Just scroll down to the "Interface and operating system" part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3

"It has been confirmed that Linux will be pre-installed on the PS3 hard drive. Sony hopes that with its wide variety of features, PS3 will supplant the PC in the home.[17][18] In addition, Sony hopes that the presence of Linux in every PS3 will encourage independent content creation such as homebrew games.

"Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities... Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3."[19]"

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Wow, well that at least means they changed their stance on homebrew...
    So making emulators and other sh*t will be a tad bit easier for the coders, and maybe making your own [mini] games will be more of a possibility, but i'm still wondering to what extent this will help the people looking for options on running backups of PSX/PS2 games...
    I guess only time will tell...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  7. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Yeah lol I hope we can play backups too.I think it would be hard with or without linux though.The xbox 360 is no piece of cake to hack even still after a year being out.

I understand also That they will be able to run (some) apps on a ps3.What really gets me is wine. http://www.winehq.com/
    I know it's probably nonsense but running MS games like halo for the pc on a ps3 is a funny thought.Would never happen though lol.See ya.

8. KainX

KainX Guest

play backups on ps3, i tink not
    more than likely the linux apps you make will have to go through a modified version of dnas and then CHECKED so that the program will run, kinda like how the xboxes xbe files use flags, not to mention psp eboots

so backups = HELL NO
    emulators = maybe

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

And what proof do you have of this ?
    Other than your own speculations ?
    Exactly, none, cause it HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET.

And btw, since DNAS stand for Dynamic [bold]Network Authentication[/bold] System, i don't think they'd be using that to see if you are using authentic discs.

As for anti-piracy measures, there will always be someone who's smart enoguh to find a work around, just like was recently proven with the 360.

And of course it won't be as simple as writing a program or shellcode and Presto, playing backups is possible. Sony aren't that stupid.
    There will have to be a physical means, like a chip, hacked firmware or whatever.

Don't don't come here saying that it won't be possible, because in the end, you WILL be proven wrong, since software is only as perfect as the person who wrote it. And i think we all know what that means...

10. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Yeah I have to agree fiend.The ps3 WILL be hacked just like all other system's.

"kinda like how the xboxes xbe files use flags, not to mention psp eboots"

xbox 360(which is what you were reffering to)has already been hacked.The exploit isn't easy to pull off but there are a few now and it's getting easier and easier.

This is why I go by facts that sony themselves have released and gave a link to a credible site like wikipedia.Sony has said NOTHING about any of the stuff you listed kainx.And there not about to release anything about how they plan to prevent hacking.That would be giving the enemy info.