1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX900 HDD ERROR

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Poguey, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Poguey

Poguey Member

I am fairly new at this forum stuff, so please bear with me. I have a SONY RDR-HX900 dvd recorder that is now flashing HDD ERROR. I have tried to fix it with the Sony recommendations in the owner's manual, but no luck. I have even tried to replace the hard drive with another, and still no luck. I have restored the factory settings, but that is as far as I can get. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions I can try before bringing it in to SONY to spend, I am sure a couple hund. $.

2. crazzzy

crazzzy Member

3. crazzzy

crazzzy Member

I have successfully replaced a defective hard drive that came with the Sony RDR-HX900. You must enter service mode by pressing,during the startup WELCOME screen,the REC Pause, SYSTEM Menu, and TOOLS buttons all at the same time. Continue to hold the 3 buttons until you enter the service mode. From there go to the HDD menu. Do a HDD scan to determine if your hard drive has errors. If it does, format it from the service mode and write the ID, exit and restart the Recorder. If you still see a HDD Error, your Hard Drive is defective...replace it. Once you have physically installed a new functional hard drive, enter the service mode, format it and write ID (you must write ID after formatting). Press the power button until the Recorder restarts. It should power on and off once. Simply press the power button again and it should start and work perfectly. Good luck.

4. Poguey

Poguey Member

Thanks crazzzy. I will give a try.

5. crazzzy

crazzzy Member

Let me know how it goes...

6. Poguey

Poguey Member

Well, I got into the service mode, and tried to run the scan of all of the components, and came up with an error in HDD mode where it could not initialize, so I take that to mean that it is the drive itself that has the problem. I am going to try over the next day or 2 to put another drive in and go from there. One question I had though, is when you said that you have to write the ID to the drive, does that mean just to give it a volume label like in a computer, or is there something specific I need to do?

7. crazzzy

crazzzy Member

In the HDD area of the service mode there are 2 options that deal with the HDD ID. One option simply lets you check the HDD ID and is of little importance to a new HDD installation. The other option is entitled 'WRITE ID' and it is this option that you must do after you format the new HDD using the 'FORMAT HDD' option of the service mode. It is necessary for you to use Sony's FORMAT HDD method of formatting (using you PC to format the new HDD will not help you) and immediately thereafter you must chosse to 'WRITE ID' to the newly formatted HDD. Hope this explains it clearly for you. It should work. Once again, let me know how it goes.