1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX900 under: PRV - DVD Recorders:

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by naviscan, Dec 28, 2004.

1. naviscan

naviscan Member

Few DVD/HD Recorders in the market as of Dec.'04 offer HD / Component Video Input, let alone Digital audio input, so you could Burn your DVDs in High Definition (the modest 400/p, or whatever you input).
    After months of hans-on and net research, this SONY model is the first to offer such things, besides the Philips HDRW-720 and up (all lack dig. audio IN).

Is it possible that the HD signal could be bypassed or shrunk down to VHS-quality during the recording?
    I expect anything from corrupt politicians and Big Hollywood lobby that created this conspiracy!

HELP ANYONE?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Wrong! The Sony HX900 DOES NOT RECORD high-definition signals! It only records interlaced signals. It is misleading because it has component video INPUTS, but if you have an HDTV receiver, you are doubly fucked. It is actually worse because then you can't even hook up your component video outputs from your cable box (exclusively for HD) to the Sony and you'll have to use S-Video or composite! Yuck!

Pg 13: "Do not connect a hi-definition tuner using the component video cords. This recorder only accepts atndard definition interlace signals"

3. naviscan

naviscan Member

Thanx, DogBomb, you're absolutely right!
    Too bad I order it, just after I've read pg.13 small print myself. It really sucks!
    What's wrong with these people?
    Why do they bother to put Y/Pb/Pr connectors for Input, then denyit it in a sorry-ass footnote?
    If nothing works, I'm going to return it in 10 days!

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

BTW, I wasn't getting uppity with you at all. I just got the darn Sony myself, and was still setting it up as of last night. I was really pissed much like you because the component inputs are useless to me! I have a HDTV receiver which reserves the only component outputs for HDTV signals. That means I have to use S-video to plug into my recorder, and not only that, the progressive scan for TV programs doesn't work with S-video! You have to turn off progressive scan to get a picture. My picture is not as sharp as it was with before. I'm hoping it's just the cheap cables which I can replace. What good are component inputs? So you can attach another DVD player which you can't record from anyway? Grrrrrrr....we're in the same boat. BTW, check out this great Sony forum. I'll be the one complaining about this. ;) http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=50

5. naviscan

naviscan Member

DogBomb, you,re right again!
    For good cables, you could go Monster (harsh), or next best at:

www.thesupplynet.com

I bought a bunch here, thei're good, inexpensive, and the site is reliable!

Another thought after my research:

HD DVD recording is not introduced YET! They say first DVD recorders in HD would be introduced next year.
    So far we're stuck with S-VHS quality (most DVDs sold in the market don't surpass that).
    My point is anyway you cut it, at this time you can't record in pure HD - progressive quality!
    Opinion: your only Component output from set-top box should go to HDTV inputs. Use RGB or digital video display when you record by S-Video, by outputting this signal from your box to another LCD monitor, or Laptop!
    Thanks for the hint on Sony's thread!

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Thanks for the cables link. I'll check it out. I have Monster cables now, but I heard they are overrated and Silver Serpents from www.bettercables.com was the best.
    About hi-def recording, that is definitely one reservation I had about getting a top-of-the-line DVD recorder. Because in 2 years when HD becomes mainstream, the hi-def recorders with the 30GB discs will be the next big wave. But hell, it might be 3-4 years before they become reasonably priced for the common man (that's me).

7. naviscan

naviscan Member

True, but we only live ... once, and then...
    Let me know how did you setup yours, mine arrives tomorrow, and I'll be busy!
    My plan is to hook up the Sony RDR-HX900 sandwiched between the Samsung Sir-TS360 (HD receiver) and my Sony Wega HDTV. I'll try against all odds to run Component Video from the box into the RDR and from here to feed the same into TV.
    If it doesn't work, I'll run S-video from the box to the RDR... see what happens!

8. jdirish

jdirish Member

dogbomb and naviscan - I can't believe this either. I just tried to install my new Sony hx900 to my Dish Network 921 receiver and spent all day trying to figure out why I couldn't get a video signal from the receiver to the recorder. Then I saw the small print note on pg. 13, changed the output on the 921 to 'standard' and at least got a picture on the Sony hx900. That means if I want to record anything it is not only low res. it also means I can't watch a different program off the satellite while I'm recording (would have to swithch back to HD to see it, which would blank out the recorder image). This is a true catch 22 which completely makes the Sony worthless as far as what I thought it could do. I'm sending it back. I think I have two choices - wait for Dish to upgrade the 921 in the future with DVD recorder to dub to from the HDD, or wait until someone else introduces a true HD DVD recorder. You guys have any better ideas? Let me know - Thanks

Maybe I can get buy with a cheaper DVD recorder in the interim - do you know of any that at least take
    s-video?

9. naviscan

naviscan Member

Like I said above, tough luck!
    Not ONLY you get a BLANK screen when you connect to HD resolution, you ALSO record NOTHING in HD.
    To view/record something, they say you should only INPUT standard video at 480/i-nterlaced, best bet is connect via S-Video cable!
    If your dream is to record in HiDef, hold your horses, HiDef recording is in diapers, will be in store at the end of the year, with the new trend of DVD-R disks of 9.4 GB or higher cap.
    I would send it back and buy the cheap and good $179 DVD-Recorder without the fancy HDD (Try the best rated Philips/Magnavox/Humax) and fo'ggeddabouddit!

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I have a Sony 36" XBR HDTV, and I've had quite a difficult time trying to set it up. It's best to first, draw out a diagram of all the inputs/outputs in the back of each unit and what/where you plan to plug cables. It gets very confusing once you're back there, and it'll save your equipment from wear and tear from plugging and yanking out again. ;) Expect to buy lots of other cables.

- The cable box component outputs go directly into the Sony. I wish I could buy some of those Y-connecters and split the signal and put one into the TV and the other into the DVD recorder, but I think only HDTV signals come out of the component outputs of an HDTV cable box. Even if interlaced signals came out of it, I'd still prefer using the components instead of the S-video I have going from cable box to DVD recorder now.
    - Two sets of outputs from VCR: one to the DVD composite inputs, and the other directly to TV composite inputs.
    - You WILL need 2 Y-connecters (male, 2-female) for the audio from the cable box to split the audio signal: one for the HDTV (directly into the back of the TV), the other for the DVD recorder audio in.
    - If you have an optical digital audio input for your receiver, you can connect the recorder's output into the receiver with an optical cable.
    - DVD component out to TV. DVD audio (RCA cable) to TV's DVD audio-in.
    - DVD composite to TV (for TV reception). DVD composite out (and audio) to TV's DTV in.
    - DVD component-in useless!!!

Some other gripes so far:

- Not the same size as other Sony components (purely aesthetic).
    - TV Guide (Tivo-like) on-screen programming is a dream. No one has gotten this to work! The recorder will not import the TV listings (same issue for both Dish and cable).
    - You cannot watch a live program while recording another unless you have 2 tuners/decorder boxes. You can watch an old recorded program on the hard drive or a DVD while recording a TV program on the hard drive, but that's it.
    - My old Sony NS715 took 5 seconds from the time you inserted the disc to playing it. This recorder takes 15-20 seconds...for any pre-recorded DVD. It takes 45 seconds to format a blank DVD.

Update: Just read this guy's review on Amazon which may allow me to split the component video out from the cable box to TV. Interlace signal from component is still better than S-video.
    "1. Video I/P: This DVR is indeed the only DVR , up to end of 2004 , which offers "component Video I/P". But, Pls be very careful, since the component I/P can only take "interlace" signals. In another word, U needs to turn-off the progressive-scan feature when U connects yr video device thru component I/P of this DVR. Otherwise, U won't see anything. This was noted on page 13 of SONY's user manual."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  11. naviscan

naviscan Member

Good job...good advice, DogBomb!
    Again, you hit the nail! ANY Component I/O beats the crap out of analog S-video connection, even in 480/i!

I have reservations against Y-Splitting component signal, even if interlaced! Rule of the thumb: never Y-split digital signal, unless you have a 9-GHz splitter!

Again, drawing a diagram of what you Want/what you have is the best method before you start scratching your head!

Tell me how it went down!

12. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I found this in another newsgroup:

For those of you in NY with Cablevision/Optimum Service, they just launched a new HDTV DVR receiver.

The box records in HDTV up to 24hours, and 110 hours in standard for only 9.95 a month. You can record 2 shows at a time and watch a 3rd prerecorded show at the same time! This is a huge deal considering it tapes HDTV in full 1080i, and I think 9.95 is a steal per month.

13. naviscan

naviscan Member

It sounds like TiVo! or similar...
    Potato-couch may love it, but why would I commit to ten bucks a month in a busy reality?
    Myself, I love freedom of choice, even if I pay more for a gizmo, I'd like to use it unconditionally!

14. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you didn't open your box yet, WAIT !!!!!

Sony's NEW DHG-HDD250 will record HDTV programs. It's at $799, but you get 250GB hard drive, HDMI/DVI output. I just realized I STILL won't be able to capture non-HDTV programs through the component video because my cable box splits the HDTV and non-HDTV signals, which means only HDTV signals will come out of the component output and I would still be using the S-video to capture non-HDTV programs. But at least with this new recorder, I can record HDTV. I don't know what to do now. Should I return this one and pay a little more to get what I really want?

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=559094

Note: It will record HDTV programs to your hard drive, but there will definitely be some data loss when you record to DVD (otherwise, you wouldn't capture 15 minutes on DVD).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  15. naviscan

naviscan Member

I guess we both are asking the same Q.
    Well, for my part, I need something to record NOW, and trash my old VCR.
    Better is just a DVD recorder, tops $200.
    Best so far is DVR, which has the HDD, big plus.
    As far as HDTV recording, I'd hold my horses for a little while: If I'm not deat by 2006, then I could catch up next year with both HiDef DVR, and Media!

16. Landriz

Landriz Member

Another big problem for me with my new RDR-HX900 is that if you manage to record a cable movie even thru S-Video port, and it lasts more than 2 hours, there is no way in hell to split the HDD file into two pieces so that it will fit in two DVD's. So it will "auto" downgrade the quality to fit in one DVD!. Forget it! I just tried Lord of The Rings and the DVD recorded quality sucks. Man for $800 and a SONY name you would expect a little bit more.

17. naviscan

naviscan Member

Landriz:
    you said that:
    Another big problem for me with my new RDR-HX900 is that if you manage to record a cable movie even thru S-Video port, and it lasts more than 2 hours, there is no way in hell to split the HDD file into two pieces so that it will fit in two DVD's. So it will "auto" downgrade the quality to fit in one DVD!. Forget it! I just tried Lord of The Rings and the DVD recorded quality sucks. Man for $800 and a SONY name you would expect a little bit more.
    - Quality is LOW, but better than my VCR!

(Before recording, I edited from DVR all junk out!)
    So far, so good ...

18. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Landriz, is it possible for you to trick the recorder by erasing the 2nd hour (A-B erase) for the 1st DVD, and then erasing the 1st hour for the 2nd DVD? Wouldn't this in effect split the movie unto 2 DVDs?

I forgot. Unless you can copy it, if you erase the 2nd half, it is gone. :( You'd have to record the same movie twice.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  19. K2SMN

K2SMN Member

I just bought a Sony RDR-HX900. What a dumb machine! The first thing I did was record 3 shows in SP mode. Then, I wanted to put the first show on to a DVD. I have done this thousands of times with my Panasonic DMR-E85H. It's so easy with the Panasonic - You just move to the beginning of the show you want, "Divide", and you now have two files - one is before the divide and the other is after the divide. You then take the second file and scan to the end of the show, and again "Divide". You now have one neat file which you can now transfer to a blank DVD. Easy. However, with the Sony, YOU CAN'T DO THIS! There is NO WAY to edit the files on the Hard Drive!!! Are they NUTS? I finally just copied the Sony 3+ hour file to my Panasonic, and then I was able to make my DVD's of the 3 shows. The reason I bought the Sony was that the Panasonic has a serious BUG in it - Every now and then, on a random basis, when you do a "Divide", it trashes the Hard Drive, and you lose EVERYTHING ON IT! (This is the dreaded "U99" error, referenced elsewhere) So, I guess my search for the "Perfect" DVR continues. The Sony is going back tomorrow. What a piece of junk...
    Roger.