1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB780 - PROTECTION MODE

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by DelAntero, Dec 20, 2007.

1. DelAntero

DelAntero Member

Hello everyone!

I seem to have a problem with my Sony amplifier. When I start the amplifier it is showing "Protection Mode" on the display. This problem causes that I cant do nothing with my amplifier.

I have checked tha cables if any cable is loose but is not.

How can I solve this problem, there is nothing on this in the instruction book.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Sounds like an internal prob of some sort, either programming of internal logic chips or amp has issues. Either way a call to $ony is in order (may have to send in for repairs)

3. JVC

JVC Active member

This isn't caused by loose cables. It's usually caused by frayed speaker wire. Double check all the speaker wire connections, on the speakers and on back of receiver. One single strand of wire, touching something it shouldn't, will cause this. I would re-twist all the speaker wires, at both ends, and re-connect them, and see if that helps. I use banana plugs, personally, so stuff like this won't happen.
    If you do this, and it's still showing protection mode, it may be the receiver has a problem, as iluvendo suggested.

You can also unplug the receiver, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Worth a try............
    Good luck!

4. po43292

po43292 Regular member

Are you using speakers that fall within the necessary impedance range? Most receivers can handle 8-16 ohm speakers only (generally). If you're using lower impedance speakers that can cause the protection condition. Are you using a very high volume on the knob? That could do it as well.