1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DE515 Receiver

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by cdawley4, Aug 8, 2004.

1. cdawley4

cdawley4 Member

I just picked up this receiver that came from my Aunts house. I plugged it up and it displays TV/DBS Protect. What can I do to fix this? Also, I brought this home to hook it up to my existing equipment and to possibly replace my Denon AVR800 Receiver. The Denon is a 3CH receiver and I would like to upgrade to 5.1 if I can get this receiver working. My Denon is putting out about 65W per channel. Not sure how much the Sony will put out. The receiver didn't come with the manual or remote. Can someone give me some specs and how I would go about fixing the Protect mode problem?

Thanks.

2. cdawley4

cdawley4 Member

I am not sure if it would make any difference, but I noticed something while I was looking at the receiver closely. I downloaded the manual and looked up protect and it referenced to some kind of short. I then took the cover off the receiver to look at the circuitry and found no traces of what would cause a short. I then took the cover off the bottom marked by an electrical shock label and noticed some burnt areas around the circuitry, something like someone poured some coffee around the circuitry and let it dry in a particular area. I am guessing that is where the problem would be but am not sure since I don't have a schematic of the receiver. The components affected seems to be 2 capacitors(C809 & C822), a diode(817), a resistor(R825, a 1K-ohm w/5%tol.) a transistor(Q808), and an IC Chip(IC801). The resistor and possibly the capacitors and diode, won't be that hard for me to get because I may have one left over from my electronics studies. The transistor and ic may be a little hard to find. If anyone finds anymore information on my problem, please keep me posted.

Thanks.

3. helix33

helix33 Member

Hi cdawley4

I have exactly the same amp as you with exactly the same prob.. I have checked out the same parts you listed as faulty & bingo the same ...Did you resolve the prob??? or find a schematic ?? as I can't find one online ..damn!! Did you figure it out ???
    If so could you please help me out ...going nuts!!

helix33

4. cdawley4

cdawley4 Member

helix,

I found a post on another website that references 3 pair of transistors, labelled MP1602 and MN2488. They are in sequence by 1,3,5 and 2,4,6. In other words, the chips are MP1602 & MN2488 side by side and so fourth. They are located on the silver heatsink thing. I measured the voltage of the first pin and middle pin and got 47.1V out of all chips except 2. I got around 50-53 out of the 2 bad ones. Chances are that you will have one bad MP1602 and one bad MN2488. I will try to find the original post and post that as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Chris

5. cdawley4

cdawley4 Member

6. Paladin1

Paladin1 Member

I have this receiver and it had this PROTECT issue a while back after I took it on a long road trip (powered by a 500w inverter). I noticed some of the input jacks on the back wiggled and seemed loose so I took the cover off and resoldered some input jacks that had broken loose, that fixed the problem.

You said you weren't sure about the output of this reciever, well it's rated at 100W/channel, and I beleive it can put out up to 120 or so into 8 ohms. This is only with 2 channels driven though, I don't think it can go past the watt spec on the back of the unit (240 watts or so) so with 5 channels driven your looking at 50 watts/channel. All in all though it sounds decent, very tight and powerful in the bass, somewhat harsh in the upper midrange and highs at high levels