1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony u Bastards.................

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by UncleSean, Sep 3, 2002.

1. UncleSean

UncleSean Member

i just recently purchased the latest in technology of dvd players of one of the Sony products made by picot. I have tried to play vcd's on it of my on by downloading films that are avi and then converting it to mpeg i have tried heaps of methods to get these films on my dvd player to work but have ceased to make hope of anything. My sister has brought home vcds from people at her work that are vcds and they seem to work what am i doing wrong. I purchased the platinum version of easy cd creator5 cause it says that it can make vcds out of mpeg files to work on ALL dvd players but i've tried to do this and still nothing. All that comes up saying is that disk is dirty. Tried cleaning the disk still nothing, i've tried using various disks none seem to work. I went to currys a shop near where i live in Aberdeen and i told the guy what i done..

his words were i couldn't really tell you what disks you could use because all the cdr/rw disks there will proably not work and he also told me that it was illegal what i was doing as if i already didn't Know that. I was told by him however it is to with the silver and gold backing on them. Because are against piracy there is proably somthing in the dvd player to stop me from playing pirate copies but i am really not sure. What can i do and is there any disks i could purchase form any web site on the internet that would work on any dvd player, if there is could you tell me what media disk or cdr/rw disk by what manufacturer i could use. thanks uncle sean!!!!!!

please AfterDawn.com send it to my email just in case i don't get my reply answered on the message board.....PEACE!!!!!!!

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I heartily concur.

Sony are bastards.

However, I am unable to help you with anything illegal either, except that if what you want to do is make legal VCD backups from DVDs, follow the excellent article here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm

and try this, as the discs I use on my Sony Standalone work fine with this method. Also try burning slower and maybe use Nero (a thirty day trial is free and also can be downloaded from Afterdawn)

Unless you are specific about your model I can't help you, but there is a link to a site somewhere (someone else help please!) that you can check your drive against (ie whether it works with CD-Rs)

Best of Luck

Paul.

3. UncleSean

UncleSean Member

Hey paul i can tell you what model it is so mabey i can just do what you tell me and it will work straight away it is called DVP-PQ1
    cd/dvd player

ODTWARZACZ cd/dvd
    and it says it can play cd-r/rw playback i hope this helps and if paul can't relply back would anyone else be able to help or are they having the same problems as me!

4. UncleSean

UncleSean Member

PLEASE someone help with my request for being a ace web site there really should be instant responses!!!!!!!!!!

5. UncleSean

UncleSean Member

does it matter what disks are used on a dvd player i have converted all the avi files i have to mpeg with tmg put burned on disk, what is the best programe to use to make vcds and how does it work!

6. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

OK, Ok lots of questions, so little time!

First, use good quality discs, not shitty 5 pence jobbies.

Second, use Nero to burn and burn slow (what's the hurry, we can use the time to rip another movie/sip a beer/have sex 47 times!)

Third : http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

should be able to help you with your machine.

Nothing comes free or easy, though, you will have to do this yourself. I am going on holiday and pretty much signing off, so someone else please help Uncle Sean!!

Good Luck and if you are stuck, look in the forums, do a search or read the articles, everything you need is actually here (except PC and power supply!)

Paul.

PS READ the article in the link a few paragraphs above

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sony's players are famous of accepting only CD-RW discs, not CD-Rs (with an exception of Princo-made CDRs).

8. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Dude, your DVD player only plays VCD's according to VCDHelp.com's DVD Player Guide. Could it be that you are trying to play SVCD's which are not supported by your player?

9. ChaNceR

ChaNceR Guest

hey i also have sony DVD player..... and i encountered the same troubles but i did manage to find only one specific type of disc that i could create and play VCD on my player... its the
    Memorex 4x rewrite
    CD-RW Platinum

Ive only got a handful of these discs left here.. and i havent been able to locate them...
    ive tried alot of other different ones nothin worked but these.... i can take a pic of one if you wanna check it out and see what it looks like, it may help you in your search... i think they are pretty old ive had them for some time.... contact me on ICQ 71364635 if i can help you anymore

10. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

get a inexpensive Apex player they play almost everything......cd-r/cd-rw ,cheap 5 cent cd-r's as far as sony goes I have gotten cheap cd-rw's to play real well but make sure you burn slow 4x or slower .....

11. TidusUK

TidusUK Member

I may be able to help, some new burning software burns files different orders, let me explain: Nero is the best and easiest software for burning mpegs to vcd, it uses the traditional TOC ie 5 folders like MPEGAV, CDI, and other, some new bruning softwaree like RecordDX burn 2 files, some players cant load these, but Neros folders have been used for vcd since 1994 all vcd haves used the folders that nero does, so try this, also some sony dvd players cant read certain media, unbranded is the worst media as the laser cant reflect of the disc very well, also the color of the burning side can make a difference, dark blue or medium blue should be A ok, need any help email me liquid_snake_31uk@hotmail.com im always ripping dvd movies to vcd, me pcs on 24/7