1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony unethical for owning stock in blue ray and sueing movie copiers?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by afterdood, Feb 18, 2006.

1. afterdood

afterdood Member

Anyone involved in legislation esp with blue ray can use this for helping people getting sued for copying movies. Isnt this unethical for movie studios to have stock in rewritable media companies like blue ray and sue people at the same time for copying movies?
    This is like selling someone a ciggaret, then opening a fund and asking people for money to help support finding a cure for lung cancer.

Heres the deal.
    1. Sony owns blue ray and makes a profit from people illegaly copying movies, buying blue rays to copy movies. we all know that the reason most of these rewritable media are popular is people are using them to "illegaly" copy movies.
    2. Sony then turns around and sues people that use thier product to copy movies with, something that is obviously being used for.

See the conflict of interest here anyone or is it just me. Its sad to see we've become our own dupes in buying duplicating products that support corporations that dont support us and are anti-consumeristic.
    Doesnt anyone boycot anymore or are we all fine with 13 year olds and thier moms getting sued by rich corporations for political purposes.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Intresting ideas. You will find that most people will agree with you but the fact is people arn't pissed off enough... yet.

Ced

3. SirRanRap

SirRanRap Member

i'm not pissed off at all. just because DVD-Rs can be used for illegal purposes doesnt means producers of DVD-Rs should support people using them for it. its like gun companies paying the bail for people invalved in gang shootings.

furthermore, there are alot of uses of rewritable media. just plain old backup is one. i know people that dont even have enough space on there hard drive to back up a single layer DVD. and yes i do back up movies that i own. but i am agianst burning movies that you dont own or games or music.

maybe i am going off on a tangent here but there is a line between whats right and whats legal. yes it is illegal to break copy protection on your own movies but that is because most people dont just back them up, they share them. i think its wrong to own a copy of a movie that had been reproduced so that the person that pays for it and the person that it is given to get to keep the movie.

4. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

This is something similar to Apple's IPOD cappable of holding up to 10,000 songs even though it would cost someone 10,000 dollars if they were to buy those songs on iTunes.
    Sony makes mp3 players as well. It's pretty shady.

5. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Uhhhh I don't really agree at all. It's not like everyone uses DVD-Rs now for piracy. Some people use it to store files, share photos, videos, etc. It's not helping Sony much if people use Bluray for piracy. They say in gaming the entire market loses a few hundred million or so every year(not sure of this figure). And needless to say an empty Bluray disc will cost less than a full one. So all this piracy is hurting them. They don't expect much sales out of empty Bluray discs. It's like with DVD-Rs. You can get great discounts and such and buy a dozen or more for the price of one with a movie or game in it. How is it a profit to the people who manufacture those discs like Sony. The only solution is for them not to sell any more rewritable media but they know that if they do that and say it's to stop piracy the it's stupid. Lots of people will complain. And in the end people will find ways around it like by downloading full games/movies online from P2P servers and such.

6. SirRanRap

SirRanRap Member

and as for ipod holding 10,000 songs, yeah, but i have a pretty nice collection of audio books most of which are as big as 40-60 songs. add the CDs you own, plus videos if you have a vidPOD. i just bought a 60 Gig video. when it gets here i'll be able to fill it 4 or 5 times, all iteams purchused myself.

7. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Guns dont kill people, people do
    Dvd-rs dont commit piracy, people do

You cant be annoyed just because there selling something that can be used for piracy. Most people dont. And the people that do spoil it for the rest of us.