1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vaio help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by phyer64, Jun 7, 2013.

1. phyer64

phyer64 Member

I was given a Sony vaio PCG-7142L

When I turned it on it says no operating system found. I put my vista boot disc in but it won't work. I took the back panel off and reset the drive but still won't work any idea what I can do to get it working?

I read online that if this message pops up its because the HDD is lose. I don't even get dos prompt.

I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm stumped and I need to get my comp working by Saturday afternoon because I need to burn music CDs for my wedding on Sunday please help me I'm willing to try anything

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. check in the bios to make certain it sees the hard drive & cd\dvd drive. try your vista boot disk on another computer to make certain the boot disk works.

3. phyer64

phyer64 Member

If I had a bios I would check there but I don't get a bios prompt all I get on my screen is ' No Operating System Found' and everything I hit a button the message repeats itself

Also I know my vista disc works but the cd drive won't boot from cd

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  4. ddp

you have a bios as the computer will not work at all without 1. read your user manual on how to access the bios as usually "del", "f1", "f2", "f10", "f11" or "f12".

5. phyer64

phyer64 Member

Ok I got into the bios using f2 it's reading the HDD as there says it set to boot 2 like it should be but I still can't get it to boot up

6. phyer64

phyer64 Member

I did that as I said it shows its working fine but still will not boot I don't even have a restore option

7. ddp

you want to boot from the dvd drive if you have to re-install windows which i think you need to.

8. phyer64

phyer64 Member

I put the restore cd in but all it does is spin and click

9. ddp

try these as got them from this link. http://www.fixya.com/support/t9943638-need_restoring
    - Just power on your laptop and keep pressing F10 key. You will get one wizard to restore your laptop to factory settings.
    - If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a recovery of the (C:) drive can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F8 key.

10. phyer64

phyer64 Member

I have toyed all that and still no go just forget it I will just pay to have it fixed I know a lot about computers but if you had read what I had written half the time you would have seen that

11. ddp

i've got a sony viao & got it from a customer who was told by somebody else that the motherboard was dead. ended up it was the power connector to the motherboard that was broken. replaced the connector so that the laptop can now be powered up, made certain the dvd driver would boot the laptop then got a new hd as previous drive was used on customer's other laptop. as the vista disk won't boot the laptop but does your other computer likely means the dvd drive is gone so need to replace it with an internal or external drive.

12. aldan

aldan Active member

you know ddp,some people just cant be helped.from the start you tried to help and ended up getting rebuked for it.to the op,if you were as good with computers as you say you are you would not have tried to say you didnt have a bios.there is not always a prompt for the bios.to be like that when someone is trying to help you is one of the reasons people stop trying to help.not that he will get it but you really do owe ddp an apology for this one.