1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony vaio laptop blinking orange led on battery

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lemnur, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lemnur

lemnur Regular member

Hey guys,
    I have a problem with my sony vaio laptop. whenever I plug in the charger WITH the battery i see an orange LED blinking over the battery icon and it did not start up (blank screen).

I thought it is showing a battery failiure. so i removed the battery and tried to boot it up without the battery and just the AC adaptor, it still failed to turn on.

in both the cases the power LED is green , the bluetooth LED is blue and i hear the disc drive start up for a brief second).

could you please help me and tell me what is wrong with this laptop?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the laptop manual troubleshooting section have a description what the orange led blinking means? did you check the sony viao faq forum about the orange blinking led?

3. lemnur

lemnur Regular member

yes I did my research. it says that orange led blinking on the battery icon means "low charge".

but if that is the case , shouldnt the laptop boot up with the ac adapter attached to it and no battery?

4. ddp

yes as that is why i asked you to remove the big battery from laptop to see if would power up from adapter. if you have or can borrow a multimeter, check the output voltage of the power adapter. is that light on even with battery out?

5. lemnur

lemnur Regular member

sorry for the late reply, no the light is not there when the battery is out.

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Seems like that is a pretty common problem with laptops these days.Either the charger goes bad and you don't have any ouput from it or there is a loose /broken connecter or bad cable.My Grandson had the same problem with his due to broken wires in the cable on the output of the charger.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. ddp

agree as sounds like dead power adapter but still need you to check it with multi-meter.