1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VAIO

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DoubleOH7, Dec 26, 2004.

1. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-GRZ610. It's got a 2 GHZ processor and 512 MB RAM (Well, it comes stock with 256, but I added another, but under System it's only showing 256 now... not good). Anyway, it used to run quite well, but now, after a little over 2 years, it's running awefully. It takes 10 or so seconds to open up the start menu, and it shuts off after about 20 minutes, then if you turn it on, it shuts off after about 5 minutes. I know it's overheating. The bottom is so hot that it almost burns to the touch. Is there any way to cool it down? Is there a way to salvage this computer? It is running like it has absolutely minimal processor speed, and I need a little more power out of it. Any help would be wonderful.

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Do you run defrag or any system tools that keep your file system running smoothly?

I would honestly wipe the thing clean if that's a possibility. Back up all your data and wipe it completely clean to make sure you're rid of unneccesary files and other spyware that could be on the PC.

Speaking of spyware, if you haven't already I'd go and download adaware and maybe spybot search and destroy. I'd also find a free virus check online and run it if you haven't done so.

I'm thinking your PC is slowing down because it's clogged with programs. That, or your HDD is almost full.

Although, if it automatically shuts off you may very well have a bad heating problem. I'm not much of a laptop person never having owned one. Maybe someone who's more familiar with them can assist you further than I can.

3. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Yeah I was just thinking about that... I forgot to post a little more detail.

The same problem happened only a few hours of a fresh install of windows xp home (provided with the computer). I have run defrag many, many times. I made sure that the software is up to date and clean.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the cpu fan coming on at all if not which is why bottom is so hot than cpu fan has stopped working. can get a type of docking station/bay that the laptop sits on which has fans that either blow air at or away from laptop bottom. a friend of mine mentioned about it to me in the summer

5. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Yes the fan comes on. Sometimes it doesn't come on for a few minutes, which really scares me. I found a solution on the net which involves taking the keyboard off and getting rid of the dust. I think I may try this, as I would assume it's very very clogged. I found it right here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/32867/

Think I should do it? It doesn't seem too risky.

6. ddp

go for it as that person did & suffered little effects(broken cover). also clean out your windows cookie, temp & temporary internet folder than use disk cleanup in system tools. download ad-aware se from lavasoft, do the update for it & run it to check for spyware. also do an online scan with www.antivirus.com free housecall

7. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Ok so I removed the cover as in the link above, and there was no internal dust that I can see. The fan turns on, and it blows out hot air from the back (I tested it with the keyboard off). I will do the steps above, with the software issues, but I did recently reformat the HD. Thanks for the help, but I am still open for suggestions.

8. ddp

are both 256 memories seperate cards & if so remove 1 at a time to see which is not showing up but what is onboard video memory setup as in megs as is probably sharing main ram

9. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Yes they are two separate 256 sticks of RAM. I will remove one at a time to figure it out. I wonder if the one I bought is guaranteed... probably not. The board has 32 MB dedicated Video Card.

10. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Also, I ran a defrag and disk cleanup last night. They were both pretty messy. I am going to buy a Tornado Notebook Chill Pad as soon as I can find one in stock. Also, what surfaces will be bad to set the laptop on? Would cardboard be a bad thing? I would assume so, so I removed the box I usually use to prop it up LOL. I can't wait to get my Chill Pad.

11. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Well, I've been running it hard for about 4 hours now, and It's still running fine. I do have a feeling it was because I was using a cardboard box as my table. The bottom is barely even hot. Thanks for the help everyone.

12. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

13. DoubleOH7

DoubleOH7 Member

Well, I got new RAM and I got the Targus Notebook Chill Mat, and wowee is it running well. I would reccomend this mat to ANYONE who has any kind of problems with laptop overheating. It's quiet and it cools like a dream!

14. ddp

good for you