1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV 50" 55" and 60" discussion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aabbccdd, Jun 26, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

guys is the picture quality any better on the 60' than the 50' .i only have room for the 50' .man iam glad i waited a bit i was going to get the Samsung 50' Plasma which was over 4000.00 dollars at the time and this new Sony comes along looks almost as good for lots less. the Plasmas are dropping in price pretty quickly as of late though

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@aabbccdd:

Picture quality should be comparable for both sets. The size of your room and viewing distance should be the deciding factor for your choice of screen size. For a 50 inch 16:9 screen you should be about 12.5 feet from the screen. Here's a useful site for calculating viewing distance and screen size:

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmascreensize.html

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

iam only going to be about 10.5 feet away so maybe i should consider a smaller tv

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Some sources will also say that about 2x the screen diagonal size or screen width can be sufficient - which for a 50" screen is about 8.33 feet. Because of the SXRD's fill rate, pixellation should not be a problem even if you sit a little closer than the ideal. The best way to find out is to go to your local dealer and view an SXRD at your expected viewing distance of 10.5 feet. I sit about 12 feet away from my 60 inch screen and I'm perfectly satisfied with the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah as good as the picture/specs. are with that set i should be good at 10 or 11 feet ,i really want the 50'

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I rearranged my media room when I got my 60 inch SXRD. I'm about 12 1/2 feet away and the picture is awesome. I'm guessing 10 - 11 feet for a 50 inch screen should be just fine.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

eatsushi, do you think the picture is better with the Sony SXRD compared to the Sony LCDs . i think it is but the LCDs seem to run more money

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Don't forget how important resolution is to the optimum viewing distance! Old calculations for standard def tv don't apply to these new 1080p sets.

Here is a good calculator anyone can use to determine the best viewing distance or screen size for there room.

Viewing distance calculator:
    http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Ced

9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@aabbccdd: My personal preference is still the SXRD over LCD's, DLP's or plasmas.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

GUYS i finally got the Sony SXRD 50 inch this weekend all i can say is WOW!!! its PERFECT. got a great deal on it too Best Buy had them for 2350.00 with 36 no interest so I GOT IT LOL!!!!

11. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I have some concerns. I really want the 50A2000 but the CNET review gave the universally approved last years SXRD a 8.6 while this years only got an 8.0. Let me cut and paste the issue that cnet had which probably affects me since I will be using the TV primarily for DVD playback.

"First off, it failed to correctly detect and implement 2:3 pull-down detection according to tests from the HQV disc as well as Star Trek: Insurrection, introducing concentric lines of moiré and unnatural moving lines on the upturned boats, respectively. [08-14-06 Update: After this review posted Sony mentioned that we might experience improved performance by turning off DRC and turning on CineMotion, a setting found in the setup (not the picture) menu. In these settings the Sony still failed to pass the HQV test although moiré was reduced slightly, and on Insurrection it still exhibited sporadic moving lines via composite and S-video, while component-video was fine. Overall A2000 still delivered disappointing 2:3 performance compared to almost all late-model HDTVs."

The reason I am posting now is that last years SXRDs are becoming scarce and I'm wondering if I should buy last years model. Especially since most people say that they can't tell a difference between 1080i and 1080p.

Any help much appreciated.

Also, for labor day I noticed circuit city has $500 off the 50A2000 which makes it about $2200!!!

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I have last year's SXRD - a 60 inch XBR1 - and it's been great so far. You could wait for the XBR2's or you could just get the A2000 now and see for yourself. I think CC has a decent return policy if you feel it's not up to your expectations.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Best Buy just priced matched circuit city plus another 10% so that got it down to 2210.00 great TV great deal. i'm really happy with mine so far

14. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

the XBR2s are only for TVs 60" and up so I'm probably going to get the 50A2000. Even 50" is too big but I hope that it won't mess up my eyes, especially with games. Honestly though, what the point in making an SXRD at 55"? It would have been nice to make an SXRD at 42" or even 46" which is more the size I was looking for.

If someone could tell me which SXRD is better (last years or this years) I would really appreciate it.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

The major change is that 1080p@24fps is supported via HDMI. 1080p@60 over HDMI support

picture quality is pretty much the same the new model has the speakers on the bottom of the set(taking up alot less room) compared to the 2005 model being on the sides, thats the main reason i waited till the new model came out because of a room issue

50"
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  16. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I'm not sure what this means. IS 1080p@24fps last years model and 1080p@60fps this years model?

I've just been reading posts on AVS Forum for about 3 hours only to find out most of them don't end or often lose track of relevancy in the back 100 pages.

It seems like many people are purchasing this and that people are happy with it so I'm probably going to go with it.

Hopefully I will have time to go over much of the 130 pages of this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=701578&page=150&pp=30

Also: was wondering what kind of cables people are using to connect everything. I've been using monster cables for a while but often hear that they are barely an improvement on the in-box cables.

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

VJbob, BUY IT !!! you will def. be happy with it. the monster cables are fine i wouldnt spend more money on better cables. the only difference i can tell with the monster cables is with the speaker connection the bottom end sounds a bit better with them. i dont think you can tell the difference between a monster cable and a mid-end cable with the video inputs though

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2006
  18. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I've had the 60" A2000 for more than a month and it's been an excellent performer with no problems so far.

I've always felt Monsters are solid performers but a bit overpriced. For HDMI I use the Silver Serpents from bettercables.com. The generic cables from monoprice.com are good budget alternatives. bluejeanscable.com also makes good quality cables - I got my component sets from them.

19. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

Re: aabbccdd. Okay just bought and its total crap. J/K. But seriously I'm impressed how effective peer pressure is even online. I might end up purchasing this one because I'm not made of money and if its as good as last years XBR than thats plenty good. I heard that they went a step back with the DRC chip to save money and that was a real concern.

Re: eatsushi. You seem to have my ideal setup with the new SXRD and the Toshiba HD-A1. I will definitely keep the silver serpents in mind. I want quality but I don't want to go nuts with cables because that can get real expensive fast. Normally I would've just went to ebay and bought a monstercable HDMI for $25. The silver serpents are about $70. Compared to the in box cables that come with the HD-A1 or the A2000 series I'm wondering how they would compare. I would guess that on a 1-10 scale. The in-box cables would be a '5' while monster would be '7' and silver serpents a '9'. Is that about right?

20. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

You HDMI cable ratings are pretty accurate. The in-box cables feel cheap and are probably 26 or 28 AWG. The Silver Serpents are probably overkill for lesser quality displays or for short runs. But with an upscale display like the SXRD you don't want the cable to be your weakest link. BTW I have several bettercables.com products in my system including 2 Silver Serpents - one for my HDTV cable box and another for the HD-A1.