1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV 50" 55" and 60" discussion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aabbccdd, Jun 26, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

VJbob , Best Buy had 36 months with NO interest if you want it NOW !! thats what i opted for

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

That's a great deal for the 50" A2000.

dblbogey7 is right. With a great display like the SXRD don't let the cable be your weakest link.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

how about the monstercable 1000DAV which retails for $200 but can be found on ebay for ~$80. Would that be better or are the silver serpents prefered.

Also is upgrading to bettercables or monstercables for audio-optical (toslink) necessary or are in-box audio cables sufficient. My 5.1 costs only about $250

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

also I'm going to need a new surround sound receiver ,what are you guys using? i want to go with a Yamaha or Denon. I'M going to hold off on the HD-DVD player till the price drops a bit

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You can't go wrong with a Denon or Yamaha. The newer ones even have video switching and upconverting thru HDMI. What's your budget?

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

around 600.00 to 800.00 dollars

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thanks , i'm going to check out the Yamaha also

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

eatsushi, i'm kicking myself i had plenty of room for the 60" instead of the 50" . heres the recomened veiwing distance

50" 6.6 feet
    55" 6.8 feet
    60" 7.0 feet

i have over 10 feet, I.M going to look into exchanging it for 60" hope it works out. i got it at Best Buy so it should't be a problem

10. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You shouldn't have a problem upgrading to the 60" at BB.

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes I'm in the process of doing it right now, i figured if I'm going that nice of a set i might as well get exactly what i want.

update , i called Best Buy and theres no problem at all other than thay have to order the 60" so it will be a few days .it ended up being 3099.00 about 800.00 dollars more than the 50" i hope its worth it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
  12. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

just came back from best buy and the 55" was less than the 50" at $2299, $100 less than the 50".

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

wow the 55" was 2850.00 a couple weeks ago. man i can't wait to see that 60" in my living room yeahhh!!!!!!!!!!!

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

eatsushi , i finally got the 60" a couple days ago and WOW!!! this baby is great it drawfs the 50" I'm very happy i exchanged it for the 60". next is to update my surround sound system.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

10-12 feet is fine for a 60" 1080p set. When your watching HD matirial of course. On a 50" 1080p set you want to be about 5-7 feet away to see all the extra detial. Any further back and you might as well buy a 720p set.

-Ced

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Ced , heres the recomened veiwing distance for the SXRDs

50" 6.6 feet
    55" 6.8 feet
    60" 7.0 feet

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Where did you get your numbers? I find that giving a range is better than an exact number because the source isn't always 1080i/p. Watching a 480i source on a 60" tv sucks at 7 ft. while HD (720 or 1080) looks fine.

Using this calculator I get these numbers

Viewing Distance Calculator:
    http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

60" watching 1080i/p: 7.8 ft. max.

60" watching NTSC: 20.9 ft. max.

------

50" watching 1080i/p: 6.5 ft. max.

50" watching NTSC: 17.4

I have found myself talking about resoltion vs distance alot with my customers this week. Marketing has got everyone looking for a 1080p set. There is just no reason to invest in a 1080p 50" if your sitting 15 feet away. You will only see mabye 720 lines if not less.

Ced

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Ced those numbers are out of the Sony manual

19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Cool. Do you get my point or not? I'm not saying Sony is wrong I'm just saying thats only one number. There are different specifications that have different requirements and opinions on what distance will give a person the best viewing experience (i.e. THX). Some specifications are strict (i.e. SMPTE) and stick to what the human eye's threshold is while other specifications believe people want to be fully immersed.

Even on the awsome SXRD sets 480i/p doesn't look great from the same sitting position as 1080i/p. 480i/p can look good on a big screen though if your far enough away as to not see the lack in detail. Thats if the source is digital anyway.

What none of those numbers examine is how much scalling/up-converting impacts the viewing distance with non-HD matirial.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  20. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

on one of my calibration discs it gave me a good judgment of distance when watching SD sources. Basically the distance you should sit when watching SD is 3x the diagonal of your TV so for the 50A2000 that would be 150" or 12.5 feet. Of course with HD sources you can sit much closer.