1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV 50" 55" and 60" discussion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aabbccdd, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

The Sony uses a 3 chip processor, while the Samsung uses a color wheel.

That's why I went w/ the Sony.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i agree the Sony's a better set

3. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Hey Everyone,
    I am wanting to purchase a new tv to go along with my PS3. I was set on an LCD when I came across this thread. Everyone I talk to says SXRD is better, but costs more. Should I go with an SXRD or a Plasma/LCD/Projector? Pretty much I need it to display 1080p, but also 720 i/p and 480 i/p as I have heard that some of the PS3 games dont play right at 1080p. I also need it to have at least 1 HDMI port and HDCP. What would you suggest?

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Well, if the t.v. you are looking for is a fixed pixel display and displays 1080p as native resolution it is going to be able to accept the other resolutions you mentioned. The t.v. will scale the lower/higher resolutions to its native res. I'm not quite sure what was meant by "the SXRD is better but costs more". What size LCD are you looking for? Compared to equivalent sized LCD's, the SXRD sets should be a great deal less. The picture quality on the SXRD's is great without the danger of burn-in. Beware of gaming on large screen t.v.'s if you are sensitive to motion sickness, particularly first person shooters. I got nauseous so often while gaming on my 60 A2000 that I had to buy a separate small screen LCD to play on. I am, however, prone to motion sickness.

5. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Thanks for the reply. For the size, i dont really care, I would like to keep the price under $2000.00 if possible, so this may require a drop in size. But if you put aside the issue of money, and pretend I had unlimited funds, what type of tv is the best ie PLasma LCD etc... And does the Sony KDS-50A2000 have HDMI outlets with HDCP?

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

If you are a big gamer, plasma may have issues with burn-in. The current model Sony SXRD sets should have 2 HDMI ports and accept and display 1080p signals, see:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...TVs&ProductSKU=KDS50A2000&TabName=specs&var2=

The newer LCD displays are bumping res to 1080p, most are 720p at this time. you can check this thread for a discussion of why some think 720p is better.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395872

The result is that you can get a decent LCD for a good price. I find that my 32" wide screen LCD is just about right for me. I sit about 5 feet away. I am speaking from the perspective of not getting motion sick as a first priority, picture quality second. Whereas, with my 60" SXRD, sitting about 10 feet away I can only last about 30-60 minutes before getting sick, but hey--the pic is great! Look for a screen with a high contrast and low response time.

7. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Do you know if the TV supports HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection)? Ive heard that with the PS3 that a tv with out HDCP can result in a loss of data since the ps3 relays data so quickly. Motion sickness isnt a problem for me, I just want a tv that will take the most advantage of the PS3 and be a decent value as far as price goes. Does the Sony SXRD display at true 1080p or upconvert 1080i th 1080p?

8. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

For content protected by HDCP, the PS3 will only output 1080p to sets that are HDCP compliant. If the set is not compliant the PS3 will downgrade the signal to(?) 480p or some lower than 1080p res. The current gen SXRD sets are HDCP compliant and accept and display true 1080p. For the price I do not think you will find a set with a better pic/features, although some will argue that Samsung gives stiff competition.

9. burner413

burner413 Regular member

OK.
    Thank you very much for all your help ChiknLitl. From what everyone says it sounds like the Sony SXRD is pretty much one of the top tv's at any price. If I can't get that much money, what is a competitive alternative for a lower price? I still need it to do the features listed above (1080p, HDMI/HDCP,etc.)

Edit: Does the Sony support 1080p through the HDMI port, as I know that the previous model did not and dont know if that got fixed or not

Edit 2: I've been doing price comparisons on the 50 inch SXRD and they seem to range from 1600 (AMAZING PRICE for a True 1080p tv !!!) - to 2300. Any idea why? Should I be weary of the ones selling it cheaper? The big stores such as Best Buy have it for around 2300, but I would much rather save 700 if the smaller stores are reputable and are just cheaper BECAUSE they are smaller stores.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Yes the SXRD's support 1080p through HDMI. I recently bought the 60" A2000. The prices ranged from 2700-3500, so there can be big price differences. I do not doubt you should be able to find the 50 incher at a reasonable price. Do your research and consider that online purchases often are not taxed (A.K.A. save $$$) and sometimes have free shipping. Crutchfield, Amazon, and Vann's are the online retailers that I found to have decent prices/deals and will price match. As far as other comparable models, I was looking at a larger size t.v., the mitsubishi line WD-xx732. These are rear projection t.v.'s. I did not do a lot of research into LCD's. Also, make sure you are looking at the KDS xxA2000 models as those are the current models. KDF models are last years I believe.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

burner413,for the price and the picture qualiy you just can't beat these(SXRD) sets

12. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Thank you very much for the help everyone, it is greatly appreciated. So far I've gotten it between the 50-55 inch SXRD (KDS) and the 40 inch Bravia (XBR I believe). From what I can see, the SXRD will have a better picture, but the bravia is quite a bit thinner (Im not one of those guys thats says "oh plasma! I have to get that so I can put it on my wall for no apparent reason! lol, but I'm not sure if the SXRD will fit through the doorway I need it to go in :( )
    But thank you VERY much again for all your help,
    burner413

Edit: Is the SXRD HD integrated or HD Ready?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I've seen the 50 SXRD @ Circuit City a few times for around $1900.

CC, BB,,Sears, Sam's Club, Costco, & Fry's will all match each others prices.

The only other TV I would consider if not getting the Sony would be the Samsung DLP's.

Slightly cheaper than the Sony SXRD.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

its HD ready , your good to go right out of the box i use my rooftop antenna to receive all my local channels in HD on my SXRD 60"

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Looks Like the Sony SXRD 60" is down to 2399.00 compared to 3099.00 six week ago , i guess i should have waited lol

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@aabbccdd...think of how I feel! I bought their WEGA 42WE655; love it great pic, etc. the only regret is not getting a step or two larger but I paid a fortune a year and a half ago.

17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Where at ??????

I got my 55in. for about $2500

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Circut City had it for that last night when i was in there(2399.00 60"), keep in mind everyone will price match

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  19. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Get this...Amazon.com has the 60A2000 for $2200 and free shipping. S.O.B.!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Lord, I'm so depressed LOL!