1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by coolwill, Oct 18, 2007.

1. coolwill

coolwill Member

i bought a a sony dvd recorder and it works nice

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@coolwill...... COOL!

3. Mudshark

Mudshark Member

What model did you buy? I have a Sony recorder and it will not record anything from HBO it says, "cannot record copy protected." What is the point in having a DVD recorder if you cannot time shift something you want to watch at a later time? I do not want to keep anything from HBO I just want to watch it after coming home from work. I had a RCA that worked fine for about 2 years but quit so I guess no more Sony crap for me.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

sounds more like your cable or service provider more than your Sony DVD
    recorder! Why is it my Tivo can record anything on TV! I have Satilite and it works fine! Records everything! Get yourself a DVR!

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

IH0e

Mudshark said
    “I have a Sony recorder and it will not record anything from HBO”
    -------------------------------------

Sony is most likely one of the worst for CP protection.

It has been said that UBO is now almost completely Copy Protected
    A number of cable providers have not passed CP on. This is being viewed most negatively by HBO and they are not going to provide service to any that do not.
    It is my understanding a signal provider is being required to do this by a new law. A number of programs such as Pay for View are Copy Protected

I don’t subscribe to HBO but have herd that it has become mostly CP protected

I have Dish Satellite service.

They have had any CP included in their service.
    They also want anyone using their service to use their their units. In fact they and others are fast setting up systems that will not record to any DVD or HDD except theirs if flaged to do so.
    This could be a reason HDD equipped DVD recorders are disappearing from the US market

------------------------------------

You said
    “Why is it my Tivo can record anything on TV! I have Satilite and it works fine! Records everything! Get yourself a DVR! “
    -------------------------------------

Do you also mean HBO, Pay for View, etc.

[What Tivo will do this and ignore any CP and what make DVR would you recommend?]

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I bought Directv's DVR which is a Tivo, 40GB hard drive. I also have a Sony Ultimate TV DVR. I don't subscribe to HBO but I do have all the sports packages and I can record any game at a given time in High Def! I guess that times have changed as I don't have a set top Sony DVD recorder attached to my TV. DVR and Tivo is the way to go. And some Tivo's can add separate external hard drives to it to extent recording time!

7. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

I used to buy Sony as I felt it was quality material. At present,a large amount of Sony products are made by different manufactures and most Sony consumer products are overpriced with very little or no support.
    I don’t think its crap but it’s way overpriced.
    If the RCA was recording HBO and the Sony is not, I might think the RCA didn’t see CP but I doubt it.
    The Sony is CP compliant and I would think the RCA is also. As I said it would appear that HBO and others have stepped up CP. But I do not feel it is on all HBO programming.

A few weeks back HBO was, for 3 days, a freebie On Dish Network. Not all their Programming was Copy Protected and any recorder should have been able to record them.
    Of those that had CP, a number would only allow a recording, presumably, to the Dish unit HDD. I found none that would allow a recording to a DVD disk. But I’m sure there were some.
    Pay for View does not allow a recording at all.

CP is becoming a fact of life.
    If you have a unit that will record a program that has CP – By all means, do not discard it and do all you can to preserve it.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I never record PayPerView because I have no need to buy something that I already have on DVD! but my DVR has a record button that will record PayPerView...... I just never tried to do it! It's a Directv Tivo! It should be able to record anything that's on TV even payperview but can't say for sure since I never ordered payperview!