1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sonys blu ray has been hacked

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by tabletpc, Oct 25, 2006.

1. emachine

emachine Guest

YUP TO THE BOLD!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Sure, HVD will have the quality of Blu-Ray or HD, and will probably make them look like 1960's broadcast TV. HVD is a storage system, which is why I mentioned it apropos to gogochar's comments. Whatever picture standard and compression mechanism will be used on top of it is up to the standards committee though there might be something better more proven than h.264 and whatnot by the time it is standardized as a video format. Last I heard 300 Mb discs were ready, which is about 12 BR discs. Or you could hold a conventional, hi-def movie in a "disc" about 1/12 the size of a current BD or HD disc, if you want to look at it that way.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

blu-ray may win being its a true 1080p res.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@aabbccdd:

HD-DVD is also encoded in 1080p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

The ideal situation for either BluRay or HD-DVD would be:
    (1) a player that can output the pure 1080p/24 signal without processing
    (2) a display that can accept the pure 1080p/24 signal eliminating 3:2 pulldown and motion judder.

The Sony Ruby and Pearl projectors and some Pioneer plasmas accept 1080p/24. Am I right Ced? Some next gen HD-DVD players (Toshiba HD-XA2 in particular) will output 1080p/60 thru HDMI.

BTW, I got the Panasonic DMP-BD10 BluRay player from my dealer yesterday and I'll spend the next few days putting it through its paces.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

let us know how you like it.i am waiting on the HD format to iron out before i pull the trigger and buy one.

i did get a OPPO OPDV971H Digital HD-Ready Up-Converting DVD Player ordered on sun. so i should have it by weds. heard very good reviews about this player so i got one to run with my new Yamaha RX-V1700 AV receiver and my Sony SXRD 60 inch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  6. emachine

emachine Guest

Where you getting your money from?

7. Destra

Destra Regular member

Yep and Sony never wins. The PS3 trojan horse is Sony's only hope.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

another reason to wait a bit before buying one

9. emachine

emachine Guest

Ugh, I hate how technology advances so rapidly! You go out and buy the best computer and next thing you know its outdated! Its like a never ending battle.

10. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@dblbogey7:

I was also looking at this model. Let us know how it works on your setup.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

eatsushi, have you givin any thought into have your Sony SXRD 60" ISF Calibrated ??/ i am going to look into it

12. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

ISF calibration for me is the holy grail. If I do decide I'll probably have him calibrate my projector too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

True. Actually, it's a never-ending quest to get you to re-purchase the same crap you've bought umpteen times before, essentially turning you into a human ATM. I prefer to call it Getting Milked Like A Cow.

14. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Does anyone know if ISF calibrators will work on 1080p displays with a 1080p test signal? I have a Sony XBR1 series SXRD and a Sony Pearl projector both at 1080p. The Pearl can accept a 1080p signal thru HDMI.

Here's a video signal generator that can output 1080p signals - the Sencore VP403C

http://www.sencore.com/products/vp403c.htm

@eatsushi: Give me a couple more days with the Panny then I'll post my impressions. I need to get a few more quality BD releases.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  15. emachine

emachine Guest

Milked like a cow lmao

16. gus738

gus738 Guest

umm correct me if im wrong but i was on my local target and saw a flyer that explain blue ray vs hd dvd and they all had the same specs except that blue ray has 5x the compacity of a dvd as where hd dvd only has 3 , now what is next gen stuff requires???? more gb size to work with video's/games and such , just cuz hd dvd is called like that it does not nessary mean its high defination its high intensity digital versital disc

so i think blue ray wins the war

17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

BD can hold up to 50 Gb on a Double-layer BR disc, whereas HD-DVD can hold about 30 Gb. However, HD-DVD apparently uses better video compression.

18. gus738

gus738 Guest

apprently if you conpress a file it shortns the quality , likewise with dvd5 back ups vs a dvd9 you always get better if you have more space = less conpression = true hd see where i am going?

19. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@dblbogey7: Just got off the phone with an ISF certified calibrator (recommended by my dealer) who does use Sencore hardware and software for 720p/1080i/1080p signal generation and analysis. He also prides himself with his audio/surround sound calibration. He'll give me a list of his rates by e-mail. Don't forget to let us know how you like (or dislike) the Panny BD player.

20. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

BR has the size and is lagging in getting tis stuff out (BR DL was jsut made stable 2 months ago)

HDDVD has it all going stable 2 and 3 layer discs good compression and codecs its on the ball ,this time next year whos know probably be neck and neck but as it stands now HD DVD is better.