1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sopcast and opening ports

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gunnerpa, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gunnerpa

gunnerpa Regular member

Hi all,i am thinking of installing Sopcast but have seen some warnings about it opens p
    ports,can anyone tell me if it is safe to install and how to configure it if it is,i use windows firewall and vista,i love sports and am looking for an alternative to watch live football on line,any help appreciated thanks

2. consul

consul Regular member

Basicly it enables streaming of P2P files. I have used it for many years with no problems.
    as far as setting it up theres nothing really to set.
    it doesn't work to well with Firefox unless you use the IE tab add on.
    just be a bit careful where you download it from.
    once installed just find the links for the sports you want to watch
    then look for the sopcast links

3. gunnerpa

gunnerpa Regular member

hi consul,thanks for the reply,i downloaded it from the link on this site,when i started it it asks to log in,i set it for anonymous,it loaded the sport for me and streamed it fully,is it normal to log in to use it as i thought it was just a media player,ie do you have to log in each time you use it,also i cant use the net when using it ,i have 8meg broadband,is there any links to sort this out and how to use it the best way,thanks again

4. consul

consul Regular member

hi
    the default login is "anonymous" which is normal. I have set my own name and pass before but I don't think it makes any difference.
    As for not being able to use the net I'm not sure i understand.
    once you have your stream running you should just be able to open a NEW browser window and surf the web as normal with sopcast playing in its own window.
    theres a few FAQ on this link, http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/forum/sopcast-faq-t-4554.html.
    by the way don't ever expect a perfect picture, its not really your speed that matters but more to do with all the other people sharing the stream. Just recently I have started picking up HD streams but that was using Veetle site which relies on VLC player.
    Good luck

5. gunnerpa

gunnerpa Regular member

Hi consul thanks again,as regards surfing the net,when i use sopcast i cannot open any other site or tab ,all i get is diagnose connection problem and page unavailable message, i use upc bb 10mb so i was wondering why this is happening,it is thru a wireless router,i also have vls media player ,any links to veetle as well thanks agaic

6. consul

consul Regular member

Really not sure why you cant view other web pages while sopcast is running.
    check your firewall settings to make sure Sopcast is ticked on the allow list, it should be as you say its working.
    link to Veetle,
    http://www.veetle.com/
    by the way how much ram are you running? and what O/S? also who Is your ISP?

7. gunnerpa

gunnerpa Regular member

hi consul,3 gig ddr2 ram vista home premium and upc 10 mb down 1 mb up broadband
    compaq presario notebook 3.5 windows experience rating.
    surely that should be fast enough for both browsing as well as using sopcast,thanks for the link