1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sorry but im a newbie and i need help.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Sawajiri, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Sawajiri

Sawajiri Member

okay so i bought a external DVD RW drive. it came with nero 7. and i noticed that when i burn DVD's it takes more than 5 hours to transcode. the file is an AVI and it is about 45 minutes long. is 5 hours the usual time? am i doing something wrong? oh and if it helps i use DVD -R to burn DVD's

2. attar

attar Senior member

Just to be clear, is it the transcoding phase (converting from avi to dvd) or the burning stage (from the time it prompts for a disk)?
    In any case, five hours is too long.
    Maybe sixty minutes start to finish.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. Sawajiri

Sawajiri Member

it takes 5 hours just to transcode. could it be my computer or what? any tips to speed things up?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It could be your computer. What are your specs? For example if you have a older, slower PC then the process could take a long time. How much RAM do you have and what CPU do you have?

5. Sawajiri

Sawajiri Member

i have windows. and a compaq intel celeron CPU. 1300 MHz. 1.29 GHz 256 MB of RAM. is that good?

6. Sawajiri

Sawajiri Member

bump also when it is finished burning, the dvd skips during some parts. is this also normal?

7. attar

attar Senior member

A 13 minute video P3 1.01 GHz 512 MB 28 minutes.
    Same P4 2.81 GHz 512 MB 15 minutes.
    Extrapolated to 45 minute video would be 96 minutes to transcode.
    Five hours, even with 256MB seems over long, but I don't have another machine to test..

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I've run into similar slowdowns on budget PCs lately. Ever since Windows XP SP2 has been added along with all the various security updates and hotfixes. Add a anti-virus program and on top of all that add Nero 7, which is just a bit bloated.
    Couple that with 1/2 the amount of RAM and 5 hours seems reasonable. The bitrate has a lot to do with it so it's hard to tell.

As far as I'm concerned the best fix here is adding as much RAM as possible and if at all possible, upgrade the processor as well.

Run some sort of Cleaning program, I like CCleaner. Check for "issues".

Remove as many unused programs as possible.

Do normal PC maintenance, Defrag, Disc Cleanup.

See what is starting up on boot-up. You may have a lot of stuff running that doesn't need to be.
    You can always go into Task Manager Click Processes > User Name. Leave System and network stuff alone, Under your user name, anything except explorer.exe can be disabled. They will all restart once you reboot.

Disconnect from the Internet and disable your firewall and virus programs if possible.