1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

souncard issue ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 50420, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 50420

50420 Member

hi guys...think this may be my first post here and i hope someone can help as i'm pulling my hair out.
    here's the story so far...
    friend of mine had bt broadband installed and says now that she now has no sounds...although she cant remember if it was working prior to the broadband install !!!
    pc is an Acer Aspire 8200, xp home with on board sound...device manager shows no problems.
    i uninstalled the soundcard drivers, restarted the pc and reinstalled with no problems, device manager shows no problem devices. from the 'sound &audio' devices in the ctrl panel I am prompted that no audio device is installed !!!
    Btw... forgot to mention that on start up...once the desktop has loaded i get an emty dos screen titled 'mixer.exe' wih a windows alert of 'c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and windows based applications'
    as per the ms knowledge base (324767) i have replaced the autoexec and config.nt files... which resloved the startup issue...but still no sound.
    i have also tried 2 other pci souncards a cheap £7.50 job and my own soundblaster...and during each process when prompted for the path of the drivers.. browsing to the path on the relevant cd, clicking ok...the pc shuts off immediatly. when restarted the drivers appear to be installed ok in the device manager, but displays an error code 10 ( irq conflict ?) although on further investigation there are no conflicts.
    i've also tried disabling the onboard sound via the bios and instaling each of the pci cards, but i come up against the pc shutting off as above.
    out of curiosity i copied the pci drivers folders to the desktop and a setup.exe file was visible that wasnt when browsing the cd ?? ran his and had the manufacturers install process rather than windows own..thought i was getting somewhere until it prompted me to restart...and then still no sound !!!
    any ideas anyone, would this be a motherboard issue ?? is it worth me trying updated manufactures motherboard drivers ???
    thanks in advance for any advice

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try reloading windows on top of self to see if correct the problem as i ran into that problem on a customer's computer but with win98se. showed card in device manager but no sound & no sound card in multimedia section in control pane. loaded windows on top of self & got sound & volume control back

3. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Did they install a NIC Card?

4. 50420

50420 Member

havent tried reloading windows yet.... thats the plan for later this evening :(

they didnt install a nic...
    other than the sound...everything is runing sweet !!!
    thanks for the responses guys

5. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Did you try different pci slots?

6. 50420

50420 Member

yeh....2 pci slots on the mobo...tried both..and had identical problem on both.
    also tried the new souncard on my own pc...and it worked fine... am keeping my fingers crossed that a windows reinstall will fix it cos i aint got nuch hair left

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you disable the onboard sound before trying the pci sound cards??

8. 50420

50420 Member

didnt disable the onboard sound initially... but have since done so and am still havin the same problem...
    havent got round to a windows reinstall yet...is gettin a bit late so may crack on with it in the morning... cheers for all the advice guys

9. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Update the forum soon. I am curious what happens

10. 50420

50420 Member

thanks for the responses guys...

i've reinstalled win xp, and to say i was dissapointed to have the same problem was an understatement :(

do you guys think a format and clean install would do the trick ?

11. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

I would. I am thinking its some registry/irq issues somewhere. Windows xp is great with those.