1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Card issue?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rofllol, Jan 27, 2008.

1. rofllol

rofllol Member

This is an annoying problem. Whenever I try to adjust the sound on my laptop, the whole think locks up and I am unable to click/alt-tab things. I blame myself for buying a Compaq. I feel like an idiot for buying a Compaq anyone who reads this and proceeds to buy something made by Compaq should be mercilessly slaughtered. When I restart my computer, I have a short window of time where the sound adjusting works perfectly. My theory is that my Sound Card goes completely bug-fusk when a certain thing starts up. My issue is not being able to figure out just what this is. Not only do my sound buttons not work, but adjusting it through the PC itself will also have the same effect. I thank anyone who reads this/takes the time to help me out.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try re-installing the soundcard software.

3. rofllol

rofllol Member

Well this happened once before too. The whole computer was FUBAR and I could only open firefox, so I just used the recovery disc. When the whole thing recovered and I lost over 5 months of hard work coding a game the sound worked. "Yay!" I thought to myself "the problem is finally over". Two days later, the sound problem resurfaces and stops working. I'm not exactly sure how to re-install the soundcard software considering I never received a disc of any sort. There's a chance it could be on a separate partition but I haven't the slightest idea how to access it. I'd call the Indians working at Compaq but I can't really understand them nor do they actually help. Thank you for your reply though.

4. ddp

what is the make & model# of the laptop to see what you have & see what the sound chip is?

5. rofllol

rofllol Member

It's a Compaq Pesario C500 GF370AV. I can't find what the sound card is since I'm still used to Vista (also complete garbage) and it's very difficult to navigate compared to XP.I'll keep looking. I'll edit the post when I find it.

6. ddp

vista drivers
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3369431&lang=en
    xp drivers
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3369431&lang=en
    did you do this as applies to both vista & xp audio driver?
    "HP SoftPaq Number SP32646, "Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio," or later, must be installed on the notebook BEFORE installing this SoftPaq. Look for HP SoftPaq Number SP32646, or later, in the Software and Driver Downloads section of the www.hp.com website."

7. rofllol

rofllol Member

Wow thank you so much. So far all is well. Appreciate your help.

8. ddp

no problem.