1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound card problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by atlnicca, Nov 21, 2004.

1. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

ok, im having a little problem with a sound card i got about a year ago. its a Mad Dog predator blastwave 5.1, and i had it in my new computer for a few monthes now, and all of a sudden one day it stopped working. it shows up under device managerm even when i took it out of my computer, but it wont show up under control panel media devices.
    i took it out and put it in my other computer and it shows up as working fine, so i kno it has to be my computer. i have windows xp p4. ive tried to install it in another pci slot and it still wont work. ive uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, and still nothing.
    hopefully someone from here can help me out, i would really appreciate it.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

I had a similar problem with a clients computer the other day.

Try re-installing windows XP over the top of your current installation. Seems like you have a corrupt dll or something.

Same problem, he couldnt hear sound or go into sound properties even though the card was detected in Device Mananger.

CJC

3. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

thanks, im uninstalling sp2 right now, so i can reinstall xp. hope it helps, and thanks again

4. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

ok, i tried reinstalling xp, but when it boots up, it says windows wdid boot properly, please choose boot option below, and it lists all the modes like safe mode, normal and what not. no matter what i pick, it reboots each time, if u kno what to do, please help

5. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

If your sound card is installed remove it and try to boot to windows. While you've got the case open, check that other cards and connectors are seated properly.
    If this fails you may need to perform another Repair XP Installation.
    It's a good idea to install you hard drive in the other computer and backup your data either to disk or to another drive. If you don't and you can't fix the XP installation, you will end up losing your data in the boot partition when you are forced to do a Fresh Installation.

6. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

the only other computer i have availble doesnt have enough hard drive space to copy anything to, i could take my 160 gig out of my ps2 and put files on there, but how would i copy the files to it on my other computer if i can only have 2 hds attached at once w/o a raid setup

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

I'm not clear on your setup but this is what you need.

First, if you have a computer with a functioning O/S you can install the hard drive with the bad XP installation into it. You should have two IdE Channels(Primary and Secondary for a total of four IDE drives) so disconnect any CD/DVD devices to make room for the drives you want to install.
    Install the 160gb and you can transfer files fairly quickly.

So in the end you will have machine with...
    Functioning O/S Master-primary
    Bad XP drive Slave-primary
    160gb drive Master/slave-secondary.

Transfer your files and reinstall Windows after you format.

8. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

oh well, two lat, already reformating my ps2 160 gig hd to install xp on it, i guess ill jus transfer files and have two 160 gigs in there and use the 40 gig for my ps2

9. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

thanks for all ur help. hopefully instaling xp on this other hd will work, thanks again for yall time