1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound card?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lex681, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lex681

lex681 Member

A few days ago, my desktop suddenly stopped playing sounds. I have check all the connections and speakers so nothing has been disconnected. If I try to play music/sounds on the pc and turn the speaker volume up, I just get static. The other problem is I don't exactly know what is in the pc since a friend built without providing the info on (even after they were asked numerous times). Could this possibly be a sound card problem? Thank you for helping me.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in the device manager in sound controller to see if sound is there

3. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

I doubt the sound card died on you. How old is the PC??

Yes, try device manager and make sure the drivers didn't flip out on you. System properties*Hardware*Device Manager; check anything relevent to sound and make sure drivers are ok.

Also, try going to start*control panel*sounds and audio devices and be sure you didn't accidently select the MUTE checkbox. Also, look at the volume control there and some of the other settings.

Can you hear sound out of the headphones?

4. lex681

lex681 Member

I forgot to mention that I did check to see if the mute option was checked, and checked the drivers to see if everthing was ok there, which it was. Sounds are fine through the speakers and through the headphones when the speaker is connected to a different pc. Otherwise, no sound comes out from my pc when they are connected. Also, my monitor has built in speakers and no sound issues from there either. The pc is about 3-4 years old.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Did you say that your monitor has speakers and you can hear sound from them? Are they connected to your PC now? Was this just a reference to show you have working speakers? Do you have any devices that stand out when you open your device manager with a yellow highlight?

6. ddp

if can do a sound test in control panel but no sound comes out than possibility that the sound regulator chip has died & it supplies the output power to speakers. fixed a few before so know about it. try reinstalling sound drivers 1st to confirm still no sound but look at possibilty of getting a pci sound card

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you live near a CircuitCity you could always purchase a sound card, very cheap nowadays for a basic card, and test the new one in your PC. If not the issue you can still return it to them with the original packaging for a full refund.

8. lex681

lex681 Member

Scubabud, it was a reference and also, a while back, the older set of speakers connected to the destop blew and while we could still get sound out of them, if they were turned off and we played music or something, sound would still come out, albeit slightly crackly, but who's complaining. No devices stand out as having a problem.
    thank you everyone, will try that asap and let you know.

9. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Lex, do you have onboard sound or PCI sound card or both? If both, and going with PCI sound card, you will have to disable onboard sound via BIOS. Just a reminder....

10. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Lex, few more question. Can you hear sound from a CD or DVD or a WAV file or MID or MP3? just curious .......

Also, what OS are you running?? sp?

What apps are you using to play the sounds??

11. lex681

lex681 Member

Nope, no sound plays either from a cd/dvd/WAV file, etc. I'm running Windows XP pro and use windows media player 10 and roxio easy media creator when trying to see if I like the song before I burn the cd. Not sure about the sound card....waiting until the weekend since my bud that built it is finally gonna help me out.

12. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Ok, speaker out connector may be bad; try swapping in a new sound card. Do you have onboard sound or PCI sound card installed?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2005
  13. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

before formatting the hdd my audio worked fine, then i installed xp pro with sp2. Now sound wont play, just the beeps the computer can create. any solutions? with detailed help,i dont know sound cards good

14. ddp

what windows did you have before & did you load the xp sound driver off the cd??

15. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

i had xp home, now i have xp pro

16. ddp

uninstall the sound card in device manager, restart windows so it can reload or ask for the driver

17. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

ugh no help lets see i have:

MotherBoard: Giga-Byte GA-8S652GXM(-P(-C))
    Chipset: SiS 650
    Audio: SiS 7012 Audio Device

how do i get my audio back. I installed SP2 after i installed Windows XP Pro.

18. ddp

is there an exclamation mark in device manager? is the sound card identified properly in device manager? is there a horn for the speaker in your task bar? is your volumne muted?

19. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

i fixed it i updated my sound card

20. ddp

teach & learn