1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound issues after splitting

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Safyre, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Safyre

Safyre Guest

After splitting certian movies using vurtual dub the first half works wonderfuly. When I try to play the second half the sound and video are off. This has happened on every movie I have tried to split...Any advice will help. Thanks

2. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

Yes, I too just split a movie last night and I woke up this morning played the first half and it worked great. I did the second half while at school and came home to play it. The sound was about 1-2 seconds off of the movie. I don't understand how the first part worked great and the second part failed. Please inform both of us what we did wrong and how to correct this problem.

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

use virtual dub.. you don't want to re-encode the video, so this part is important!

Video->direct stream copy

Next, you want to change the audio start time, so:

Audio->Interleaving->Audio Skew Correction

Delay audio track by 0 ms

you only need to replace the default 0 ms with however much time you want to give it.. positive numbers if audio is playing too early, negative if too late

remember, 1000 ms = 1 second

Cheers! ;-)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2002
  4. Safyre

Safyre Guest

Well I have messed with the ms setting for about 5 hours now and still can't get it perfect. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this? and does anyone know why this happens?

5. VCDjunkie

6. Safyre

Safyre Guest

I've always split using the key frames. I'm sorry I'm just so frustrated with this ... Please someone help!

7. VCDjunkie

well, the symptoms fit the likely cause, which is to say it's being split at regular frame instead of key frames.. I still recommend following that guide step by step, just to make sure it's being split at a key frame. it does not take long to split avi's, so it's really worth the try to follow the guide..

hope it works out for you..

8. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

I have a question. Is there anyway to use VirDub to encode the entire movie into mpeg format and then split the movie after it was encoded or do you have to do this before you encode it. Just a curious question if someone could answer it.

9. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

Ok, I have the converted section of the second half of the movie (MPEG) that I want to burn onto a VCD and the (AVI) file for the second half of the movie, which I am having problems with the sound. Which one do I use to try to match the sound under the audio of VirDUb with. I did what you said above about the AUDIO>interleaving and setting the number to match the sound to the movie. However, once you do that how do you preview the movie to see if the movie and sound match or do you have to encode the entire second half again and go through that long process to only find out it might be still off, or is there a way to make sure the sound and movie are in line before coverting again. Please tell me what to do, I am new and lost for words.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2002
  10. VCDjunkie

open the 2nd half of the movie, the avi not mpeg, in Virtual Dub.

follow instructions above,
    video->direct stream copy
    Audio->Interleaving->Audio Skew Correction

once you have done this, and you are sure about the skew timing in Milli-seconds, then click on file->save avi.

This does not take long because you are not re-encoding, only changing the timing of the audio.. you have to save the avi first, then you can view it.. if it is not perfect, delete it and try again..

11. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

I did exactly what you said and then I viewed it on my Divx player and guess what. It didn't change anything at all. I started at 1 second..then 2...then 3...etc. Nothing changed at all the sound was still coming out faster than the movie. And I remembered putting in postive values not negative. Really stumped over here.

12. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

I will try splitting them again (at key frames) but I did that already the first time. I will let you know what happens.

13. VCDjunkie

as a test, I just did exactly what I told you to do, and it works exactly as advertised.. I put in a positive number of 3000 in order to give a 3 second pause in order for the video to "catch up" with the audio.

I can only think of 2 things you could be doing wrong.

1) use 1000 to get 1 second, not 1,2,3,etc.. this will only give you a 1 millisecond pause, and the human senses are only capable of detecting a 70 ms skew.

2) make sure you are placing this value under "audio skew corretion", which is actually the second box under interleave, the first box is for "audio block placement"

Since I know for sure that these instructions actually work, it's very much possible that one of the 2 things mentioned is what's happening.

14. VCDjunkie

oh, and to answer a previous question you had, if you are planning on converting this video to VCD or SVCD using TMPGenc, you can do the splitting during the encoding phase, TMPGenc's wizard step 3/5 has an option for "source range" which allows you to select the start and end frames for your video.. you could use 1 .avi file, using the wizard create 2 seperate VCD compliant MPG files from 1 .avi

15. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

from my experience its been easier for me to encode the video to an mpg(with TMPGenc and split it with dvtool....I have had no problems(knock on wood)doing it this way so it may be worth a shot to try it.....

16. Safyre

Safyre Guest

Ok so now I know how to fix this unusual problem but why does it happen? The entire movie plays fine on my computer but, when I split it the 2nd half sound is off. I follow the directions on splitting the file perfect. I hold down shift just like the directions and still on every single movie the sound is off on the 2nd half? I want to try to prevent this from happening. If you have any more advice it would be appriciated. Thanks.

17. arnmcrmn

arnmcrmn Member

Wonderboy,
    Sorry if I am getting annoying or sounding stupid, but you can endcode the entire movie with Temgenc and then split the mpeg with a dvtool, right. That process sounds so much easier than what I have been doing, because the second half of my mpeg is always off it I split before hand. Where do you get this Mpeg splitting tool?

18. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

19. VCDjunkie

Safyre, are you using a source video with VBR mp3 audio.. even if you are not, you should first try re-encoding the audio to 192kbs CBR before splitting to see if this corrects the problem.

video->direct stream
    audio->full processing mode
    audio->conversion->44100hz high quality 16bit stereo
    audio->compression->mpeg layer 3->192kbs (or 224)

now save avi and see if splitting this new avi fixes the problem..

20. scole

scole Member

Try avisplit 3.45 beta to split you divx. It's excellent!

I can email it to you if you wish. It's small. You'll also need nandub 1.0. (also can email.

S. Cole