1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound missing using nerovision express 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ACeZ, Dec 10, 2004.

1. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

im able to create a movie onto a dvd from an avi file that will play fine in my pc, but whenever i play it in my dvd player connected to my tv, i get no sound. am i missing something? please help...thanks!!

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Did you convert the file with NVE or another program and then use those files in NVE?

3. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

no. i just used NVE to convert/transcode (whatever you call it) to make the AVIs into the DVD.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Are these downloaded files?

Did these files play alright on your PC before you added them to NVE?

Did you make a menu in NVE to go along with the converted files?

Did you use the remote control in NVE to play the files first after you converted them, before you burned to disc, and if so, did they play OK with sound?

5. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

these are AVI clips of legal clips i have downloaded. the files all play correctly on my pc before any conversion takes place. i do not use menus, i have NVE setup to go right into the movie when it plays. and yes, i have used the "preview" remote control in NVE to check to make sure all is well before burning.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....OK, one more thing, since you're not making a menu, have you tried them in Nero Express to see what happens? It will also convert the files automatically and since you're not making a menu, NVE isn't really needed. I'm curious to see if the same thing happens. This will help narrow the problem down. You can use RW or write to your hard drive then play on your PC to save on coasters.

Have you used NVE on other files before and if so did it work without any problems?

Since they work on the PC before you burn, the error occurs between burning and playing. Did you try writing to the hard drive 1st with NVE, then see if the files work with a software player, then burning with another app instead of letting NVE burn the disc?

It also sounds like it could be a media problem,what kind of media are you using?

Also, have you tried any other conversion app?

One last thing, is this a trial version of Nero Ultra 6, or paid version?

7. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

sorry i havent explained this clear enough, but thanks for being patient, as i REALLY appreciate your help. anyway, i tried nero, decided i liked it, and bought it. i have tried using nero express, but it can only use DVD files(bup, vob, ifo)...if it can convert AVI files, i dont know how to do so.

i have also "burned" to my hard drive and played with DVD playing software by mounting the image. no problems. the thing i still dont understand is when i burn onto the dvd-r, it will play absolutely fine in my dvd-rom, but no sound with my dvd player.

my writer only supports dvd-r, not +r, and i use memorex dics (both CD-R and DVD-R)...i tried sony, but no difference.

as for other conversion tools, ive tried countless. dvdlab was great for making a good layout, but it didnt compile the dvd correcty. as for file conversions, ive tried TMPG, cucusoft's, and many others, they error, crash, or do not convert properly. ive made sure to carefully read instructions or ask in forums for help. no such luck.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, I hate to say this but it sounds like a compatibility issue with your DVD player, or it's your media.. If the files play fine before you burn it just about has to be one of the two. Also, no sound is a symptom of both.

Memorex is probably one of the worst media on the market. Sony can be too depending on the manufacturer. With both there is no consistency.

What format does your DVD standalone play? It must be compatible with -R.

Download dvdinfopro, it's free and among it's many very useful uses, it will analyze your media. See who makes your Sony, Your memorex is probably CMC, one of the worst.

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, no sound, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for branded DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

9. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

just an update....

i upgraded to nerovision express 3 and bought some different brands. they all had the same result:

the dvds played perfectly in my dvd-rom drive (sound and video is great) and i also tried in another computer. no problems.

i then tried in various dvd players. same problem as before: perfect video and still no sound. any other ideas?

10. jasoon

jasoon Member

hi

Are you still having sound problems?

I'm haveing the same problems as you

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What brands did you buy? Also, what is your burner? This has to be a compatibility problem with either the media or the player or the burner.

Also, is your burner compatible with the brands of media you are using? Not just the format. Have you tried flashing your burner lately?

An example, one of my burners does all formats, but isn't compatible with all brands of all formats. for instance it likes Ritek G04 -R but isn't compatible with Ritek Ridata +R, but likes verbatim +R. So you may need to look at your burner's compatibility list and it may need flashing to make it compatible with your media as well as your format. The fact that it only does -R says it may be an older model since most of the new ones do +,-,R, and RW.

Companies continually update their media lists, but only by flashing can your burner be upgraded to the lists.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  12. ACeZ

ACeZ Member

thanks for all the help. i finally found out what the problem was : nve

someone refered me to 2 other programs: WINavi and TMPGEnc. i tried TMPGEnc first, it being more popular, and couldnt get it to encode. i got winavi and it works great. to get the best quality, i need to use 2 dvd-rs or a dual-layer dvd. there arent any menus, which i found a hassle to deal with in nve anyway. also, winavi encodes a video in less than half the time and uses less system resources.

so apparently, nve just didnt like my system. i still use nero tho.

thanks for the help again.

13. JAMnole

JAMnole Member

I've had the same problem in that I use Nero Vision 3SE (part of the upgrades package I got after buying Nero Ultra 6) to burn DVDs. AVI files have no sound on any DVD player, although they are fine on the computer. I surely don't want to have to buy another program after buying Nero Ultra 6 and then being screwed into having to separately purchase the DVD plug in. Your thoughts are appreciated, I'm new to this DVD burning business.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You must have the DVD plugin for NVE to work properly. Don't understand the "have to buy" statement tho, it is free for purchasers of Nero Ultra 6.

15. JAMnole

JAMnole Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried and tried and tried but couldn't burn a DVD without purchasing the plug-in separately, even though I had purchased the full Nero Ultra 6 version. Nero support won't even respond to me on this issue.

I just burned AVI files to my hard drive to see what would happen - no sound. For some reason, when I burn AVI files to any medium, it loses the sound. Any thoughts?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You are converting the files to DVD compliant files ? They won't work whether you write to your HDD or a disc using NVE 3? Are these downloaded files and do they play fine before you convert?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  17. JAMnole

JAMnole Member

Let me tell you step by step:

1. I open NeroVisionExpress 3SE and choose "Make DVD"
    2. I then choose "DVD-video"
    3. I then choose ""Add video files" and add them
    4. I then burn the DVD successfully.
    5. All file types play completely with sound on the computer before being burned; once burned to DVD, the AVI files have no sound when the DVD is played.

Thanks.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, obviously the problem is occuring between finished files and the burn.

What media are you using?

How are you burning to disc. Are you letting NVE do the burn or are you writing to the HDD first and then burning out of burning rom or burn express?

19. JAMnole

JAMnole Member

Media = Memorex DVD+R, 8x, 4.7 gb

I've been burning directly from NeroVisionExpress to DVD; I did burn once to hard drive to see what happened, and same problem, no sound for AVI, indicating to me that it's not a media problem.

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Are you saying that the files wouldn't play with sound after you wrote to the HDD? I was under the impression they would because of your previous post, AVI files have no sound on any DVD player, although they are fine on the computer. If this is the case I think you need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of Nero Ultra 6. Make sure you don't have Nero InCD installed or any Roxio products. Both are known for causing conflict with other DVD software. Especially Roxio, it hates Nero and WILL cause problems with any Dvd software, but especially Nero products. I would even use Roxio zapper to completely remove any Roxio remnants in the registry.

BTW, Memorex is one of the worst and most unreliable media out there. I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features. You can also use Dvd identifier, another free app for identifying media.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Let me know what happens.