1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound out of sync with film

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by derrek, Aug 22, 2004.

1. derrek

derrek Member

hi there, i have converted .avi file using dvd architect, as you know you put blank dvd in the machine and the software does the rest, this i have done loads of times without fail, but this one film, the sound is out of sync with the film (estimate about 20 secs out) i have also tried TMPGEnc but to no avail, just wonder if there are any gurus out there who have had same problem, or is it maybe just a dodgy .avi (but the .avi is not out of sync when i play it on its own)(i dont want to let this one go, as it is really annoying me, 3 times ive tried this one film). Thanks in advance

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are Many different reasons why the audio could go out of Sync after encodeing and authoring to DVD...

If your AVI file uses VBR Mp3 audio then that can cause it to go out of Sync after encodeing...

If your AVI file has a Different Frame rate than the Target Mpeg frame rate then that can also cause it to go out of Sync as many encoders are not good at converting Frame rates....

If the AVI file is Corrupted or has any Corrupted Frames in it then that can also cause sync problems...

Not Knowing more about your Source file and the Process you used I can"t give anything more specific to your problem....

3. derrek

derrek Member

firstly, thanks for the reply, about the source file:
    Image: Width:512 pixels
    Height: 288 pixels
    Audio: Duration: 01:32:20
    Bit Rate: 127kbps
    Audio Format: Lame MP3
    Video: Frame Rate: 23 frames/second
    Data Rate: 106kbps
    Video Sample size: 24bit
    Video Compression: DivX codec

and the process:

I open TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress > set source > add file (.avi) > add clip window opens > Clip name is left default > Video mode is Progressive > Field order is Top field first > Aspect ratio is Pixel 1:1(square pixel) > video source and audio source from the same folder (ive just noticed that the frmae rate showing in the video source part of the screen is 30fps as opposed to 23fps showing in the .avi properties) > set output >DVD > PAL > Aspect ratio is Image 4:3 > Rate control mode is VBR (Average bitrate) > Audio format is MPEG-1 Audio Layer II > ok >Encoder/Bitrate setting > Image resolution is 720x576 > Average video bitrate is 6055 > Audio bitrate 192 > Estimated file size > 4200.00MB > Advanced encoder setting > Maximum bitrate is 8000 kbits/sec > Minimum bitrate is 0 kbits/sec > Number of pass is 2pass > ok > and from then on in I leave everything default and start encoding ( basically from stage 1 I leave everything default, maybe I have to change some settings within TMPGEnc before I encode film).

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

It think that is part of the problem Pluss you are encodeing the NTSC Source file to Pal which Tmpgenc is Terrorable at...I only know of One Encoder that does Proper NTSC/Pal conversions and that is "Canopus Procoder".....