1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP ICE Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by sealraid, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sealraid

sealraid Member

Hello all,
    I just bought the new SP ICE mod chip for the Xbox. I opened the Xbox and found that I have a 1.6 version of Xbox according to this little test ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions.php ). So the problem is when I went to install the white adaptor with the wires, I could only find 1 hole in the motherboard to hook the single wire to which worked very well and went in very easy (you guys are sick). The other four wires that go near the chip on the board seemed to be lacking holes! I was down there looking at it and couldn't see any holes like there was for the single wire spot which worked so well. I tried to place these wires on the board anyway using the plastic gaurd and they were basically sitting on top of the board yet some of them were makeing contacts. I fudged with them and tried to force them but only bent slightly the wires. I finally was able to get all the leds to light up by holding all of the wires on the board by hand and tried to turn it on with the xenium chip on it and the 2nd led from the left turned off and the light came on the xenium chip but it was red and nothing happend on the screen. (at this point I have only the hdd hooked up but still nothing happend) I did read though that you are supposed to unplug the xbox after you tested all the lights were lit and then put the chip on and start it up (which I did not do) so this very well may be my problem but still the main problem is that the 4 wires will not and are not in a hole like the 5th single one is. So even if the chip does work once I take my hands away all the lights won't be lit and the 4 will probably not have any connection. Can someone please tell me if I own an entirely new XBOX that is not supported or why there is no holes on the mother board where the plastic guide says there should be?

Thanks guys for all your help
    Nate

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Some of the newer Xbox's that are 1.6's believe it or not are using 1.4 motherboards....What type of video chip does your board have?? Excalibur, Focus, or Conexant???

3. TigraoZT

TigraoZT Guest

try to find a little switch on the botton of the chip, i had the same problem just switch it and now works fine

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2005
  4. aykfc

aykfc Member

Elusive, I have a excalibur. Mine just frags... but if mine is a 1.4 what should I do

5. sealraid

sealraid Member

hey thanks for the support I tried to flip the switch once but I don't think I tried it both ways once I finally got them all to light up while holding them. So this may work for me but still the probalem lies with the motherboard as there are no holes where the 4 wires are suppossed to connect they are just tinny dimples and won't hold the wires in place unless I dingle with them and hold them there with my hand. I do have the X microsoft Excalibur chip though. Which I thought was 1.6 so Im not sure why there arn't holes in my motherboard for the 4 wires? Thank you all for your responses please help me further if you can.

Nate

6. aykfc

aykfc Member

I have holes but it lookls like the green stuff covers them up to an extent... i can make the holes out though

7. sealraid

sealraid Member

well this vary well may be the problem, did you take your whole mother board out to see the back to tell if it has holes or could you just tell from the front? And if this is my problem how did you clear the holes out so that you can get a good fit with the four wires?

8. aykfc

aykfc Member

Ive tried poking them.... but if all lights up shouldnt it still be getting a connection? And, are you supposed to be able to see the holes from behind? I am getting it modded by a pro next saturday but untill then my xbox is out cuz i softmodded and well lets say i cant doa nything now

9. sealraid

sealraid Member

yes if the lights light up and stay lit up then you are getting a connection. But my problem is that they won't stay lit up unless i hold each one with my hands once i let go they arn't all lit up anymore. If there were holes like the single seperate wire has then this wouldn't be a problem and the wires would fit into the holes securely with a good connection.

10. aykfc

aykfc Member

Well, I guess thats my problem, does your xbox turn on and off three times? Thats what happened with mine, and it just fragged. I can kind of scrape the stuff off.... but not really. I tried taking a sewing needle and scraping it but it was still too big.

11. worrom

worrom Member

If you want to get your mod chip working DO NOT use those rivets that are marked as optional in the installation manual.

12. aykfc

aykfc Member

Your an idiot, you dont know what you are talking about. Sp adaptor... i havnt found too appealing. I am getting it sodered in tomorrow... and I would usggest you do the same.

13. worrom

worrom Member

OK you go and spend more money getting your modchip soldered on when you could easy do it yourself. If you had a clue. I'll be playing my modded xbox.

14. aykfc

aykfc Member

Solder it on easy myself? Nope, I dont have enough skill to do that, I have tried for over a month in a half to install it solderlessly, so I think I know what I am talking about here. Something I have is not working right, I dont know what it is... it is possible it is my motherboard, and the holes arnt right, but dont you think if I pay money, get it installed, I also will be playing it like yourself? I fail to see your logic.... well you had none to begin with, but especially in this area of your nonexpertise. Besides, solderlessly sucks, it will not last as long, and you will be having more problems then me because mine is more secure. Dont tell me I dont have a clue, when you dont have any idea what knowledge I have in this field. Although, it sure does sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you care to assist me installing this?

Also.... shut the fusk up buddy, Rivets wouldnt affect anything. Maybe, your wires wernt in correctly the first time? Or am I wrong, please correct me, I would love to know

15. worrom

worrom Member

Listen I've been doing this for years with solder. This is my first attempt with a solderless kit. I was just offering my experience and what worked for me. As for you not having the skills to solder, that's what practice is for, no one is born with the skill. All you noobs what it NOW NOW NOW never taking the time and patience to Read The Manual. Which is proven by your blatant use of vulgar language in this forum which if you would have read the rules when you joined you would have known better than to use it.

Good Luck.

16. aykfc

aykfc Member

Ive been thinking about it, studying the manual for a month and a half.I tried today to install it sodering, but yet I would of messed up, I am not going to practice on something that is 150 dollars, thank you. If you will volunteer your xbox i would be more then happy too try sodering but untill then I am not confident enough to try it.

Now " If you want to get your mod chip working DO NOT use those rivets that are marked as optional in the installation manual."

That is not saying what worked for me, that is telling us what to do... and I am saying that wont make it not work, another point is... how the hell do you know it was the rivets?

17. worrom

worrom Member

True I was vague and that was a mistake on my part. I am sorry.

If you want to practice soldering obviously you are not going to do it on a 150 dollar xbox. Find an old radio or any broken electrical device in your house, anything with a circuit board. And just practice your technique and getting your solder points right. Then you'll be installing these chips in 20 minutes. Xboxes are by far the easiest to modify.

18. aykfc

aykfc Member

Ah, i shouldnt of flamed ya like that im sorry. You seem like a good person, and I apoligize for going out on you like that. Thank you for the advise.

19. worrom

worrom Member

Alls well that ends well.