1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP2 Acess denied message

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NicHt, Jun 24, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I try to download windows XP SP2 from the 'Widnows Update' but it continually says "Access Denied". I have followed the steps outlined here but still no luck. As the sub-key was all ready full admin privlages, so I gave all the users full privlages, but no luck. Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I hate to say it, but that guy can be a monster. If you are using Firefox make sure that you have the IE Tab extension. It is best to just use Internet Explorer to download.

First thing to do is to make sure it is not on your system so that we can start from scratch. Follow the pointers in removing the SP2 first.

After it is not on your system then try to install it again. If you still have a problem try a different site. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

There is also a walk through for the installation of SP2 you could read if you are still having problems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364

Good luck!

3. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I just got so fu*ken pissed off I just installed Pro on the same partition, don't have any problems now! :D Apart from the fact it asks me which OS to boot from, any fixes for this?
    On the boot where it says boot from:
    Windows XP home
    or
    Windows XP pro
    I only have on C:\Windows folder, thus I don't know how to delete home. If I insert the Pro disk and in the recovery console type fixboot and fixmbr will that fix home's? or Pro's? Or just destroy my pc?

~Thanks

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check boot.ini about getting home off the boot option. why not reload everything from scratch?

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

There is a way to change the boot up procedure. There is a hidden file under the c: drive called boot.ini The best way to get there is to go through My Computer. Here is a thread on how to get there and to make changes to the startup. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Normally default time is 30 seconds. In most cases you can change the 30 to a 0 as long as the default falls to the correct OS installation. You may have to make extra changes in the boot.ini file to accomplish this.

The other way to do it is to format that partition and re-install the OS from scratch. Hopefully the first way will work for you. If you have to you can go into disk management from the control panel to access the separate partitions, remove or add partitions.

6. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

You'd think that re-partitioning would be the way to go, But I'm so damn fed up by now, I don't really care as long as the damn thing works and quits giving me pop-ups. I'm too damn busy for half the shi* I try to do for other people. Well I'll stop ranting now.

Thanks a million syxguns and ddp.

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

partitioning the drive is not going to solve any problems really. If you are getting pop ups you need to run some ad-aware tools. You can find most of them at download.com

Ad-Aware (Lavasoft)
    A-Squared (Free)
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    CClaener

You can always use google to locate the download sites. There are a few others you can use as well, but I have good luck with these when I don't want to take the time to do a registry sweep.

If the drive was not partitioned to begin with do not partition it. I find it much more convenient to only partition if I am 1) setting up a mirror drive (which I normally do on an external drive!), or setting up dual OS system. If you partitioned the drive and it was not originally partitioned you should remove the separate partition.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

9. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

lol, pop ups as in "Update to sp2" etc.

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

If you do not want the pop-ups turn off the auto update feature. It is a very good idea to have SP2. You need to get it installed and get all the available updates.