1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

space on hard drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ODMENT, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ODMENT

ODMENT Member

I am using shrink and decrypter works great.. question is after its done i go and delete it off the hard drive but i do not get that hard drive space back.started with 84 gig after burn 79 gig.. delete image file and go check the hard drive and it still says 79 gig??? do i really have the space back its just not reading it correct?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

by delete do you mean using 'shift+delete' so it bypasses the recycle bin? have you checked recycle bin?
    Also some AV/Backup suites like Norton keep files on the computer until you delete it through them

3. hursty

hursty Active member

you can select a option on decrypter to delete imag once finished,just tick the box.
    when you check the hardrive after you delete the file,and it stills hows "79gb",come out of local C,click back in,open local c again,right click,properties,the true amount should be there again.

i dont think the recycle bin will normally hold that amount anyway.mine doesnt allow me to send that amount to it.check your settings.

with kind regards hursty

4. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Question here How exactly do you check the space on your hard drive. I am too concerned about space when I use decrypt it goes to my HD the shrink puts it some where else I am afraid of using too much space.Thanks ---zen-->

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

double click 'my computer'
    in the right hand pane you will have [bold]Hard Disc Drives[/bold], total size shows the size of each drive, free space shows exactly that

You can change the folder that shrink and decrypter output to. I have found the easiest way is to create a folder called "DVDs" or the like and decrypt to that. Then when you shrink the file, output it to the same folder with a different file name
    ie. decrypt filename = Catwoman.iso 5.9gb
    shrink filename = Catwoman1.iso 4.7gb

You can go a step further with the folder option and create a separate partition on your drive solely for movies, this will prevent your main drive from becoming fragmented.
    You realise that with most movies dvd shrink is able to read them anyway, cutting out the need to run dvd decrypter first ? and therfore cutting the amount of disc space needed

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

double click 'my computer'
    in the right hand pane you will have [bold]Hard Disc Drives[/bold], total size shows the size of each drive, free space shows exactly that

You can change the folder that shrink and decrypter output to. I have found the easiest way is to create a folder called "DVDs" or the like and decrypt to that. Then when you shrink the file, output it to the same folder with a different file name
    ie. decrypt filename = Catwoman.iso 5.9gb
    shrink filename = Catwoman1.iso 4.7gb

You can go a step further with the folder option and create a separate partition on your drive solely for movies, this will prevent your main drive from becoming fragmented.
    You realise that with most movies dvd shrink is able to read them anyway, cutting out the need to run dvd decrypter first ? and therfore cutting the amount of disc space needed

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Click on start
    My Computer
    and highlight "C" drive. This will show total and available space in Windows XP.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK mine says total size 74.4 Free is 14.2 Thats not very much is it, left?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Not by today's standards. Time for a new drive I think. You can always use the original one as a second drive for storage and burning, etc.

10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Could I get an external hard drive? Could it be my movies I am backing up taking up so much space? How do I get to my recycle bin to permenatly delete whats in there? OK figured out my recycle bin LOL

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Question 1 = Yes
    Question 2 = Yes
    Question 3 = You need to see what your program default shows as to where it is putting your movie files and/or if it is automatically deleting them. In other words, what folders are used by the default program.

You can do a search for *.vob or *.iso for example and see where they are located, which will also lead you to the folders that need to be emptied or deleted.

Start/search/all files or folders/ and use the asterisk as a wild card with a period after that and finally the three letter extension of either vob or iso.

If you know how to click on C drive you can also glance for folders that might still have the VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS in them

12. ODMENT

ODMENT Member

Ty I will try that...

13. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK boss I am up to 30.3 GB freespace now how come my movies are every where? If I want to know whats in a iso file how can I see it When I doble click on it roxio comes up and wants to creat a disc If it is An iso is it safe to delete it you think?

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If it is an ISO file then it is basically the whole movie. How big is the file that you are talking about?

15. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

only you know what files are on your computer, and only you decide where to save them. All burning/encoding programs have the option to specify where you wish to save to and under what name.
    to find out what the iso is, use your media player to open it (powerdvd etc) or open in shrink and look in the preview screen.
    if its a movie you have burnt/viewed already and no longer need it then delete it

16. ODMENT

ODMENT Member

Ok I found out what happened Its true the anti virus kept it in the recycel bin.... I had to go in the unerase wizzard and delete the files. all the space came back 70 gigs...

17. yeardley

yeardley Member

I swear I don't mean any offense by this, but I went to this thread (and the double topic thread posted by the originator) in order to help out, and then I quickly lost the desire. If you seriously don't even know how to find a 4.3+ GB file on your hard drive, nevermind paying attention to where DVDdecrypter or DVDShrink has put the rips, then you really are way ahead of yourself in even trying to rip DVD's in the first place. Pull the reigns, go to your local bookstore, buy "windows for dummies" and come back to what you're doing in a few days. No joke...because if you have these kinds of questions to ask, you're only going to be back every 3 hours with equally retarded questions, for the next 30 days straight, to get to the point that you need to be in order to "comfortably" use your computer, so that you can START to learn how to effectively rip DVD's. Again, I'm not trying to be patronizing...I'm just telling you the truth. Go buy a book and learn how to use your computer. Then you can start trying to do things with it.

18. Gringle

Gringle Guest

LOL I have to agree yeardley, I'm still doing mental somersaults about the re-cycle bin.

Guys' try right clicking it and choosing an option.

best of luck gringle. ;)

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi guys

norton antivirus holds the files in its own recycle bin, you need to delete from there aswell! i have turned mine off so when i delete the windows recycle bin it has really gone!

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005