1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker fade in and out and even shutting off

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by gongigoo, Jun 15, 2006.

1. gongigoo

gongigoo Member

I have a meridian 505 amp and two 557 amps along with the control processor and I think I have narrowed the problem down to the amp but would like some feedback from anyone out there that might have experienced this before.

My Front left and right speakers, after using them for anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, will start to fade in and out and if I keep running them they eventually turn off and then come back on. Now, the amp is not shutting down, but it does get semi-hotter than the other two amps. The current speakers that are being used are the B&W 801D that can handle from 50W to 1000W and are 8 ohms. The 557 appears to fit fine with the specs of the speaker so I would assume there is something wrong with the amp only. Another thing that I noticed on the amp is that it seems to get hotter on the right side more than the left side although both speakers are effected I don't think that should be normal.

Any Ideas????

2. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I might suggest trying differant speakers for a test run. If 1 side is getting hotter and the amp does not shut down, it is possible there is a crossover issue dumping the impedance and thermaling the amp. Many times in a crossover notch filter we drop impedance significantly to compensate for driver/enclosure variances... a fried resistor could be key, or even a cap that is overheating in the crossover.