1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers of High Audio?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Prisoner, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    I was think when formulating me dream audio system about the componets. As most here will disapprove of I went with SACD as the High audio choise. Only because it is a feature on the new Sony 400 Disc DVD player. But I am looking at geting a new Reciever (most likely with THX decoder) and thought that it is really the speakers that give you the great sound quality. I like JBL and Energy speakers, but was wondering what others thought were the best speakers to make the new 7.1 audio systems sound the best.

2. mfurj

mfurj Member

I was going to buy a pair of $40,000 B&W's but the lack of 39 grand prevented me. I've got a pair of Definitive Technology 2004's and have never regretted it.

3. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Your choice of subject had me interested, right up until you started talking about SACD. I am looking at getting into burning SACD's or DVD-Audio, would you be so kind as to suggest a few programs that have this capability to either encode to make it SACD/DVD-A or for burning. I've heard discWelder Chrome is awesome however, can't afford the pricetag for the software/encoder.

Thanks

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

discwelder chrome is indeed awesome, but with MLP encoder it's nearly $5000. Cheaper than sonic though, and home SACD authoring is not possible.
    There is a cut down version called steel - check them out at www.discwelder.com
    there is a little comparison thingy so you can see exactly what you need.
    Basically, if you want full control over the graphical component, want to author Universal DVD, or need to use MLP files ( compulsory if using a 5.1 surround mix at 24/88.2 & 96 K) then you need Chrome. If not, then Steel will do just fine.

5. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I am a newbie when it comes to this, so please bear with me. Is there a guide listed somewhere on how to properly create Dolby 5.1 soundfiles or where to get them from? Other then Chrome or Steel, is there any other software out there that will do a comparible job?

Thank You for being patient.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

For Dolby Digital files, which are not strictly speaking high resolution at all, as they have a compression ratio of around 12:1, visit http://www.dolbydigital.com/ where there is a wide range of documents.
    Neither of the apps mentioned will create Dolby digital files, as they are primarily concerned with DVD-Audio and DD is part of the DVD-Video spec.
    There are many DD creation tools available, depending on the product you are trying to create. If you can be a bit more specific on exactly what you are trying to do, I will point you in the right general direction.
    For a discussion on the differences between the formats, go to http://www.dvddemystified.com/ which is the de facto bible of DVD creation.
    HTH, and lots of luck.

7. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I must be out to lunch. I was sure DD 5.1 was referring to the audio but, ultimately, I would like to enjoy surround sound audio. Be able to create either / or DVD-Audio (at this point, not exactly sure of the format) or SACD.

I certainly do appreciate any help you can lend or links that will help me. If there is anything I can do for you in anothe field, be sure to let me know. I'm always anxious to return the favour.

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Dolby Digital is Audio, but it isn't high resolution or DVD-Audio. It's the main audio format for DVD-Video, and is to high res surround sound what MP3 is to a CD.
    DVD-Audio is PCM only, at any bit depth from 16, 20 or 24 and all sample rates up to 96Khz in surround and 192KHz in Stereo.
    The Authoring applications are different too - there are many DVD-Video apps out there now, but still only a couple of DVD-Audio such as Minnetonka's DiscWelder & Sonic Solutions DVD-Audio creator.
    Sorry to have caused any confusion.....

9. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

It's all good, thanks for your patience. That kind of sucks that discwlder costs that much along with it's plug-in. Until the price comes down significantly, I guess I will have to settle for my average, run of the mill CD's.

Thanks for your time.

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

for $500, you can get Steel, which really is worth it.
    You wouldn't be getting 24/96 surround, but to be honest the bit depth seems much more important than the sample rate IMHO. 24/48 or even 24/44.1 is still substantially better than 16/44.1 plus you get the surround ability.
    Still, it's your call.
    LOL, whatever you decide.

11. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I agree, that price is much more "affordable" however, with the US/CDN exchange, I'd be still looking at a $725 purchase at 45%. Still better then the alternative of $7500+.

Thanks