1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific question regarding backup programs such as DVD2XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Littlefat, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to the whole xbox modding scene and I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a modded xbox with a bigger HDD already installed. See I already own a PS2 and I use HDLoader to backup my games since it's nice to have the games I friggin OWN load significantly faster by running straight off the HDD in my PS2.

What motivated me to get a 2nd xbox (my first one just stopped working and it was past warranty, so I sold it for 50 bucks) was that I learned it was possible to play backups of games you own off the HDD if your xbox was modded. What I DIDN'T know was that it was a lot more complex than HDLoader's routine for PS2.

I've read alot so far about Evo-X and how you need to FTP files to your xbox from your PC and all that jazz. What my question IS that I haven't found answered in any of the tutorial I've read yet is this: Lets say I get my modded xbox with the latest xecuter chip and a 120 HD installed and the thing is working as it should. If I wanted to simply copy my games to the xbox's HDD as SIMPLY as possible, what's the easiest way to do that?

The reason I ask is because I've tried looking up info on HDDLoader and DVD2XBox (I've read a lot of how DVD2Xbox is better), but it's not clear if you need a dashboard installed on your xbox before you can use these programs. My understanding is, programs like DVD2XBOX will allow you to do the following:

1) Put original game disc you own into Xbox disc drive
    2) Copy that game onto your Hard Drive
    3) Play (with or without the DVD2Xbox stuff, I don't know) the game straight off your hard drive without needing the original game disc anymore.

I just want to know if you NEED a dashboard program like Evo-X before you can use a DVD2Xbox program. And if you do NOT, then how would I go about getting DVD2Xbox to the xbox and getting that going. Any links that can answer my question would also be helpful. Thanks a bunch in advance :)

2. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

The other thing I wanted to add has to do with Evo-X installing of a backup on your HD.

I'm sure this is discussed in a tutorial, but I just wanted a simple yes or no answer - Assuming you have successfully installed Evo-X onto your modded xbox and everything is working as it should, if you wanted to simply copy your Halo game onto your Xbox's HD (in my case, a replaced larger HD), is it as simple as your xbox copying the data off the game disc to your HD or does it have to involve your computer and FTPing stuff back and forth? Thanks again.

3. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

Yes, you need a dashboard installed in order to run your applications : Media Center,DVD Region Free Player, DVD2Xbox,Phx Harddrive Loader, Atari2600,Nes,Snes,Sega,Mame Emulators ect.

Once your chip is flashed with a bios and you're ready to install Evox, look for a program called Slayers Evox Auto-Installer V2.6 Final. This has a collection of applications already installed including the newest version of the Phx Harddrive loader v1.3a. With the harddrive loader you can copy your original games to your harddrive and no need to FTP. If you want to make a backup DVD of the game, then you need to FTP over to your computer to burn.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  4. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

Thanks a bunch, this looks like exactly what I've been looking for. The only problem now is registering on the friggin board. Tried a bunch of times, but it keeps saying connection timed out. My wife tried from her job with her own e-maii address and no go either.

Is there any other place that mirrors this program, or does this site distribute it only? I read they have some password protection or something on the download.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Where are you trying to register? I would suggest going to http://slayer.xbox-scene.com and get the IRC info in order to get Slayer's Auto Installer. There is a hacked version out there with a virus, so be safe and get it from the official site.

6. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

Yep, that's the place - the main slayer website, but I can't register =/ Guess I'll try IRC and see if thre's any luck gettin it through there.

7. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

First go and install a free bittorrent program called Shareaza. Next go to xboxstation(dot)com, register and go to the application download section. Click on slayers 2.6 and sharaza will start up and begin to download the program.

Sometimes it helps to disable your firewall when registering.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  8. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

I got the bittorent program and downloaded the program and put it through that hash thing, but now it wants a password? Still can't get onto the main slayers forums (register that is)

9. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

The extract code is sevx2.6

10. Littlefat

Littlefat Member

Hey Guys.

I was able to get the latest version of the Slayers Evo-X auto-installer eventually, but now I've run into yet another problem. I've read in various places that most pre-modded xbox's come with a "Cromwell linux bios" either pre-flashed or that you have to flash yourself. In any case, it doesn't have the feature I was looking for: copying a game you own off the xbox DVD to your Xbox's HDD.

I've read up about the Slayers Evo-X installation process and it's nice and simple, but now I'm looking for an xecuter bios that I can use to flash my premodded xbox with in preparation for the Slayers Evo-X auto-installers. Any help (and especially links) would be greatly appreciated directing me to the latest Xecuter bios.

At one site that had a tutorial on flashing your bios (I think it was "copyingxboxgames.com") it said that if you want to copy backups to your HDD you'll need a "hacked" bios or something and not the default one shipped with the premodded xbox. Just need clarification as to what I should be looking for and where I could get it.

Thanks.