1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Class; How to build a PC, in 8mins

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Mereinid, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mereinid

Mereinid Member

Hello all I have a speech class coming up and I have decided to give a 6-8 minutes speech on how to assemble the bare-bones of a PC. No software is involved as they will take hours. Anyway, I know how to assemble a PC in my sleep. However, I need to give this speech to a class that most likely will be staring back with "deer in the headlight" looks. I need to, for the lack of a better term, dumb this down. I have to keep it under 8 min. I can stretch it to 8:30secs, after that I start losing 2 points for every 10 secs. I have to demonstrate this as I am giving the speech. I have a case, 2 sticks of memory, a power supply, which most likely be already installed as it can be cumbersome to move around in the small hollowed out area in the top corner of this case. I can demonstrate SLI but I think that will just burn up more time, even though I think its AWESOME. A hard drive will also be pre-installed. I guess what I would like are some pointers on how to lay this out as best as I can for a 7min45sec to 8min15sec speech and without loosing their interest. I can have a power-point in the background however, I was informed it was bad form to divert their attention to the power-point and me not *give* the speech and just *show* it from the power-point.

This is what I have thus far,

Demonstrative Speech
    Topic: How to build a bare-bones PC
    General Purpose: To inform/demonstrate.

I Introduction
    A. My mother once told me, that ignorance is expensive, at the time I was not aware of how right she was. Now, at the age of 44 I am 100% aware of how wise my mother truly was. You all know how expensive computers are, and to get a really nice one, can easily be the cost of a couple house payments. And when one breaks or a part goes bad or you simply get a virus that inhibits the proper functioning of the pc. You will truly know why ignorance is expensive, as you will have to pay someone else to fix your PC.

B. Building a computer is one of the most rewarding experiences you can do, to assemble the parts, “you” chose and assemble them in the correct order. When all is said and done you hear that classic “beep” to let you know you have done a good job.

C. I started playing around with my first computer in 1999. The very first time I had a computer, I broke it on a weekly basis and after about a month I had paid out almost half as much to repair people as I had paid for the PC to begin with, which was about $1200.00. After about the 3rd repair and me forking over money I didn't have, I started to research and tear my own pc apart and find out why it was doing what it did. Never again did I call a repair person. I have saved $1000.00’s.

Transition: To begin with, I would like to talk about components within a PC and how to install them.
    II. Body
    A. I There are several cases on the market, we are going with an ATX Mid Tower case here. It will take up moderate chunk of space on your desktop.
    a. The mid tower case will have a nice proportional amount space allocated for most of your PC needs. If you are wanting to go overboard on cooling and graphics and storage bays for extra hard drives then you will need to move an ATX Full Tower case, which will eat up 1/3rd of your desk space and/or all of your leg and foot space under your desk.
    b. To begin with you will want to make sure you are grounded and not running through your carpeted house with socks on, you will build a static charge and the first time you touch one of the PC components you will most likely fry the delicate parts and subsequently electrocute yourself. While you won’t die from it, you will wish you had, as the several hundred dollar part is now a paperweight
    c. The Motherboard, is a large printed circuit board that serves to do nothing else other than have a place to connect all of the other PC parts to. This is the glue and the middle man which your PC will talk to you through. You first start screwing in the motherboard in the requisite ports that correspond to the holes in the case. There will be holes you will not need to put screws in as they will not line up with this particular mother board.

Anyway, let me know if I am heading in the right direction or if I need to trim this down so far. I still have to talk about the GPU, the Memory, The CPU, and the Sound Card, etc. etc. I think I will also already have the front panel and case fans already connected..hmm, forgot about that...dammit!

Regards,
    Mereinid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.