1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed problems with NEC3500 AG PIO to DMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by epyon96, Feb 24, 2005.

1. epyon96

epyon96 Member

Computer is Pentium 4 2.4
    512 Memory
    40 Gigabyte 7200 RPM HD
    WIN XP SP 2 fully updated.
    And it is a Shuttle SS51G V1.0.

My problem is this, it seems that the ATAPI setting on my DVD-RW (NEC3500 AG) is stuck on PIO and my speed of burning at 8X is dismal. It takes me 26 minutes while before my formating, it only took 8-10 minutes.

I have already tried uninstalling the drive and uninstalling the ATAPI controller and both of them failed to change anything.

I checked my BIOS, and it seems that everything is normal. The drive is full updated to firmware 2.18.

Please Help

2. epyon96

epyon96 Member

Someone mentioned somewhere about some registry changes but I can no longer find that thread. Does anyone else know how to do it?

EPYON

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try doing it this way

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then lets see if you are still having the problem :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Removed

5. epyon96

epyon96 Member

That was teh method i used and nothign came out of it except a PIO cd/dvd rw drive :(

And I just found the Regedit FAQs. I followed their instruction to delete the masterchecksum or whatever and add the Dword and modified that the data entry to 1.

But still nothing :(

I'm in the process of double checking my BIOS settings but i don't see any problems in it.

EPYON

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Aright give this a try..
    [bold]CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can revert to using PIO mode, despite being set to use "DMA if Available." Here's how to make Windows XP redetect the DMA capabilities of the drives.
    This behaviour occurs with the following conditions:[/bold]

-Windows XP is the operating system
    -A CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, which is known to support DMA mode now works only in PIO mode.
    -The drive controller is set to use "DMA if available" but reports to be only in PIO mode.

Following is the mechanism that has worked for me, please try it at your own risk, it involves hacking the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find the following KEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
    3. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
    4. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
    MasterIdDataChecksum
    SlaveIdDataChecksum
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

7. epyon96

epyon96 Member

So far I tried all the mentioned strategies and still no avail:(

I was wondering if the settings on the BIOS in my Shuttle SS51G is right.

For both the Primary and the Secondary Master (DVD-RW is on this one), it is set on Auto in regards to PIO selection. The other optinos for this are just "Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, and Mode 4). DMA is enabled in another spot for all the primary and secondary master controllers.

Is there anything else I should be aware of when trying to make sure my BIOS is right?

This problem is really starting to frustrate me. Please Help.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Every motherboard is different the best thing to do is look at your manual for those settings or go to shuttle's website and download the manual for that board, and while you are there grab any updated driver's for that board mainly the IDE, AGP controller ones if they have any. If all that fails your best bet is to put everything on Automatic in your Bios XP should recognize your drive as beeing DMA anyway..