1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jrink, Jan 29, 2005.

1. jrink

jrink Member

I'm wondering if my system is slow. Seems like it takes me too long to backup a dvd via DVD Shrink.

My system is a 1.8GHz P4 with 512Mb ram. I have a TDK IndiDVD burner that is a 8x write and 12x read. My HD is a 40GB IBM 7200rpm drive.

The Encoding process on an average dvd takes me at least 45-65 minutes. Burn time is about 20 minutes. Does this seem off? My rate accoridng to DVD Shrink is about 2800-3500 during the encoding process.

My HD and DVD drive are the master drives on their respective IDE channel.

Any feedback about this?
    JRink

2. jrink

jrink Member

Forgot to mention. I'm running XP SP2 and have DMA enabled on both drives.

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi jrink--
    No, your system seems to be doing fine--about the same as mine-- Shrink is what takes the most time--more time if you tick the "High Quality" settings--which I usually do--I have done many movies both ways just to see if I could tell the difference between the "High Quality" settings and not having them ticked--which goes a lot faster--I cannot tell the difference, but then again, I do not have an HDTV--If I did, then maybe I could tell--Have Fun

Whitfield

4. jrink

jrink Member

Any idea why my drive will only burn at like 4x? Even though the box says 8x? If i try and force Shrink to burn at 6x or 8x it says it can only do it at 4x. My discs are fui 8x dvd-r's.

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Jrink--
    Shrink does not burn--people think it does because it automatically picks either Nero or Decryptor to burn. No matter what speed the DVD disks say they are, your machine will only burn at what it is capable of--I know mine will burn at a maximum of 4x also--but that is OK--burning any faster on videos is not recommended--can cause errors--at 4x it should only take 15-20 minutes to burn--hope this info helps
    Whitfield