1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spliced Xbox controller, added a USB add-on but no green "AR" light when I plug memory card in

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by trav1085, Jul 13, 2009.

1. trav1085

trav1085 Guest

Hi all

I got tired of waiting to ever find Action Replay, so I spliced up my controller for my Xbox and added a USB add-on. To my surprise it had actually worked (I used the wrong solder and had never soldered anything like this before) on my computer, so, not wanting to waste the end I spliced up my rock band USB hub (360 is dead, it's useless to me) and added the Xbox controller's connector on the end.

With this, it would make adding a USB flash drive so that I can use a save game exploit much easier, right? However, when I plug the controller (usb) into the hub and the flash drive into the hub and then go to the "Memory" screen I get an error saying "The memory unit you inserted isn't functioning, it may be damaged." At first I thought this was an unsupported flash drive (It's a "Dell 128MB"), however according to http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_USB_Compatibility_List, it is supported. I have also tried a no-name 2GB card but it gives the same error.

What I am thinking is that it's just that my hub method isn't working, and I'll actually have to connect the flash drive into the same wire as the controller's, I can't do that right at the moment as I lack a usb extension and have the wrong solder for anything else. (I took the USB hub out of my 360 to use as a dual memory card adapter that I would solder into my controller's cable).

Please discuss.

2. eebeejay

eebeejay Active member

How is your USB stick formatted? Make sure it is formatted with FAT, FAT16 or FAT32. The Xbox won't recognize it if it's formatted with NTFS. Also, the Xbox only recognizes USB flash drives that are 4 GB or less.

The mod I did about 4 years back was, I added a USB port onto a broken headset dongle. Plug it into the controller for a removable USB port.

3. trav1085

trav1085 Guest

It's a 2GB memory drive. I've tried using fat32 and fat.

I've decided that it's my drives that are incompatible, so I'm going to buy an xbox memory card.

The reason I know they're incompatible as I managed to get my PSP to become recognized by the xbox and it will format the memory card (1gb) as fatx. Unfortunately Action Replay will crash soon as I try to use it.

One problem after another :/