1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splinter Cell Protection Fault

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by XGP, Aug 24, 2003.

1. XGP

XGP Member

Hey guys thanks for readin..

So ive got these 'backup' bins/cues of splinter cell. I burnt the bins to cd-r's and then installed the game from the disks. So now when i go to start the game the splash screen comes up and says "General protection fault" (with nothing under "History:").

I went to "Game*********" and downloaded several "No ** *****", core.dll's, .exe's and played mix and match trying to get it to work and recieved slightly different results. It still says"General protection fault" but get stuff under "History:". I recall one of the history messages being "History: InitEngine".

Seems like im so close...yet so far away.

Im pretty new to "using backups" so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Yet another reason not to mess with noCDs... better off just getting the duplication right from the get-go... save you a lot of hassle later on :)
    2. I believe only the third Splinter Cell CD is protected with SafeDisc 2.8 however it gets updated to SafeDisc 2.9 after the 1.2b patch.
    3. Does it crash right after an intro movie? If so, and you are running WXP, Microsoft has addressed that issue so perhaps you might want to check out the patch for that.
    4. Did the installation go cleanly? Any background apps? Read-only files that shouldnt be read-only?

Burning SafeDisc 2.x
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

3. XGP

XGP Member

Hey thanks for the reply Praetor.

1) I dont know what you mean by getting the duplcation from the get go?

3) It doesnt get to the intro movies, the splash screen comes up, along with a window that has the error in it.

4) The installed went 'pretty' cleanly, i had to push "ignore" a few times on the first disk. Disk two and three installed without having to do so.

No background apps were running during installation, or during start-up

Thanks again ^^

4. Grim_CHel

Grim_CHel Member

its simple just download the right drivers for yur video card i had the same prob
    cheeeeeeers
    grim

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

By 'getting the duplication right from the get go' i mean to spend the time to create a perfect duplicate so you dont have to mess with errors and noCDs.

This would definitely be indictive of a imperfect burn.

6. XGP

XGP Member

Ok I see what you mean now by getting it right...I didnt make this copy myself my....'friend' did it if you know what I mean..

Ill try getting a 'perfect' burn on the first disk then..I would have tried this before posting but I figgured a "protection fault" wouldnt pertain to slight errors while burning..not that i have a basis for thinking so ;p..

Thanks mate

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  7. Siesta

Siesta Member

XPG

I am getting the exact same error after patching. Please post if you get it figured out.

My video card is ATI rage 128

Thanks in advance

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

1)Splinter Cell is Safedisc 2.x cd protected
    2) Install from your dvd\cd-rom, [bold] not your cd burner [/bold]
    3) If you encounter the same error then use emulation such as Daemon Tools or the aid of ATIP tool (hide cd-r\ignore media type) and play the backup in your [bold] cd burner [/bold]

Splinter Cell ( cd 3)= Safedisc 2.8.x
    http://www.portmac.com/Private/protection_screenshots/splintercell.gif
    Splinter Cell 1.2 patch= Safedisc 2.9.x
    http://www.portmac.com/Private/protection_screenshots/splintercell_1.2.gif

Shoey :)

9. tantrum33

tantrum33 Guest

I am interested in where you left off earlier. I am able to get through the splash screen/intro movie but then it immediately goes into a protection fault. You mentioned a problem with WXP or the ATI Radeon 9700 card. Both have the most recent updates. Ideas?

-T

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here m8? Have you updated your ATI video graphic card drivers? Are you launching the backup from a dvd\cd-rom, not your cd burner. Look for a tool called Safedisc Analyser (Google) and after you download>open>locate Splinter Cell game exe and see what Safedisc version it is.

Shoey :)