1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split level menus required from avi files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by cockbeard, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cockbeard

cockbeard Member

I wish to create a DVD with a two level menu system. So it loads and you get three or four options, then when you click one, you get a second menu screen which has individual scenes and a play all option. I have a bunch of .avi files which I would like to put on these discs. I have used VirtualDub to edit the clips to the length that I want, but have no way to feed these into DVDLab-Pro as they are not MPEG2 files

I've never tried anything this ambitious before, I normally just use Xilisoft DVDCreator to burn film sized .avi to disc, but this is a gift for a mate so would like the custom backgrounds on the menu screens. Can I use a .gif animation for that? Or have the .gif run once before the menu screen

Sorry to be such a noob, but I've spent around 48 hours tearing my hair out. A lot of the discussion is at this point in my education a little technical for me to follow. I've been grabbing software various but none seems to simply take my .avi and turn it into two seperate audio and video files

If I'm going about this all wrong then any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What do you mean by that?

3. cockbeard

cockbeard Member

I was under the impression that the video, when converted to mpeg-2, became two files, one containing video data, and one containing audio. Hence the two folders on the top level of the dvd structure "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS"

Having just created vob folders with another program, I notive that the audio folder is empty yet I have two file in the video folder. I may be confusing myself

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The Audio_TS folder is empty. The video and audio are both included in the *.VOB files.

5. cockbeard

cockbeard Member

Why do I have two .vob files from a single clip?

Are the other things I wish to do possible? ie. unskippable animation upon load, then a two level menu, a first menu with 2-4 options then 2-4 film clips under each of the first options

6. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Try ConvertXtoDVD and using one of the menu templates. Read the manual for explanation of available different templates. There are also customized menu templates done by users in its official forum.

7. cockbeard

cockbeard Member

Thanks guys, I'm getting my head round the various file structures a little better now. Couldn't reply before as computer was busy encoding files. Just one other question now, is there a way to have a short clip autoplay upon load before going to a menu screen. Kind of like the anti-piracy adverts, or the "don't try this at home" on the wrestling, would like it as a kind of watermark, for discs I put together

8. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

9. greg10

greg10 Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010